Red Cherry Shrimp Setup

DevonCichlid

I've become fascinated with the idea of starting up a small RCS tank and wanted to get some feedback to see if what I have would be suitable.

I have a 20G Long hospital tank setup right now that includes

Substrate - 2.5" Playsand

Filter - Sponge Filter running off a Marineland Maxi-Jet 400 rated for 110gph in powerhead mode with Venturi

Lighting- Single Bright 24" LED

Air - I also have an air pump setup on it split to two air stones (kinda overkill)

Driftwood is also mature in the tank

The sponge filter and substrate are going on 6 months now where at the minimum there have been small BN Pleco's in there and at the max a few cichlids for a few days for QT from the LFS.

Obviously test levels are all good on ammonia, etc.

As far as plants I'm only planning on getting some easy plants where I preferably won't have to dose ever, ie. Java Moss, Java Fern. That's the plan at least until I get the planted tank bug where I would eventually get into CO2 setups and lighting.

Does that powerhead generate too much flow for a shrimp tank? If so I have the air pump that would be more then capable for the sponge filter.

Is the LED lighting going to be enough for the Java Moss/Java Fern?

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

I've become fascinated with the idea of starting up a small RCS tank and wanted to get some feedback to see if what I have would be suitable.

I have a 20G Long hospital tank setup right now that includes

Substrate - 2.5" Playsand

Filter - Sponge Filter running off a Marineland Maxi-Jet 400 rated for 110gph in powerhead mode with Venturi

Lighting- Single Bright 24" LED

Air - I also have an air pump setup on it split to two air stones (kinda overkill)

Driftwood is also mature in the tank

The sponge filter and substrate are going on 6 months now where at the minimum there have been small BN Pleco's in there and at the max a few cichlids for a few days for QT from the LFS.

Obviously test levels are all good on ammonia, etc.

As far as plants I'm only planning on getting some easy plants where I preferably won't have to dose ever, ie. Java Moss, Java Fern. That's the plan at least until I get the planted tank bug where I would eventually get into CO2 setups and lighting.

Does that powerhead generate too much flow for a shrimp tank? If so I have the air pump that would be more then capable for the sponge filter.

Is the LED lighting going to be enough for the Java Moss/Java Fern?

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

The LED should be fine. I've previously had a 10Gallon setup with a very small LED light (4"x4" with multiple leds') and the java fern in there did just fine, and grew to the point I had to

prune it back.

cheers and have fun ;)

Antonio

PS airflow might be too much, I'm not familiar with powerhead units but even a good HOB filter would be too much for the shrimp if you plan on breeding them, babies will get 'stuck' to the filter media or sucked up :)

A couple sponge filters - one on either end - will do just fine. Everything else will work great. Start with 20 or so shrimp and you'll have more than you can count in a few months or so!

I have a dedicated planted 75 gal to cherry shrimp and they are thriving. I use my old fluval 305 and wrap a bit of pantyhose around the intake and it works perfect fine to stop the little shrimp to be given the suck of death.

I once had a heavily planted 90 with an XP3 on it. I didn't cover the intake with anything special and when I'd do maintenance on the filter, I'd find a thriving colony of shrimp of all sizes (even ones that were too big to be sucked up) in the filter!

I have a dedicated planted 75 gal to cherry shrimp and they are thriving. I use my old fluval 305 and wrap a bit of pantyhose around the intake and it works perfect fine to stop the little shrimp to be given the suck of death.

I once had a heavily planted 90 with an XP3 on it. I didn't cover the intake with anything special and when I'd do maintenance on the filter, I'd find a thriving colony of shrimp of all sizes (even ones that were too big to be sucked up) in the filter!

interesting! Just think tho @ the environment for the shrimp in the filter...huge water flow, zero light they must have been wondering what crazy vortex they were just sucked into...one sec light the next dark! heh