Wipe Out. All Fish Dead, High Nitrites Have No Idea What Happened.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you remember putting anything on your hand or wrist...e.g. lotion, sanitizer? Sounds like you may have contaminated the tank. I had a similar incident when I had saltwater. I washed my hands but not up to my elbow and i use hand sanitizer at the hospital and lotion to my lower arm.

Ok, so after having a trouble shooting session with the guys at Aquarium Illusions we think it's copper poisoning. I hadn't thought anything of it but I added a half dose of a supplement (that I've used before but infrequently) that might have been sketchy. So lots of water changes, adding some Start Up and hoping for the best. Praying that the coral, snails, hermits and emerald crab pull through. Also writing an email to the supplement manufacturer. I'm somewhat less than impressed. They don't think it was H2S from the sand bed or anything, they said I'd need about 2 more inches of sand for it to be an issue. Also, no rotten egg smell. Heartache for my lost fish and inverts. So freaking sad.

Also writing an email to the supplement manufacturer. I'm somewhat less than impressed

If able kindly name the supplement so that it will be known to others what not to use. Then to update your first post with your finding so that interested members won't have to scroll all the topic msgs to find the important answer.

The loss is too bad but at least if info is gained...better than nothing gained.

So I'm mixing a bunch of new saltwater for the water changes and decided to test it. Sure enough, the ammonia is up in the tap water still/again. Looks like I'll be going through a butt load of Prime. Has anyone here used Seachem AmGuard?

The stuff I used that we think is the culprit is Instant Ocean's Reef Accelerator.

Edit- Feb 1- Day two of the massacre

So the new saltwater I've been mixing STILL has ammonia in it. I used quite a lot of Prime and it's still crapola. :(

Edited by kindasleepy

And the wipe out continues. Corals melting, all the worms coming out of the sand and live rock., snails dying. Picked up some RO water but it's super cold so I'm warming it up and it's taking forever. Looks like after 5 months and 19 days, my tank is dying.

I don't have a big enough tank to put the liverock in I don't think but I can try to fit some of it. Right now it's trying to get the RO water warm, it's like, 60F right now

See and now things are getting really weird. It's been maybe 6 hours since my last change. Water is milky, most of the coral excluding one hammer coral and one of my flower pots all are either completely closed or are melting in the case of my mushrooms. Did a water test:

ammonia- 0

nitrite-0

nitrate-0

pH- 7.8

WHAT THE F*CK. I'm going to take it in to Aquarium Illusions tonight and have them test it. Maybe my kit is hooped? I use the Hagen master kit, it's relatively new (less than a year old). I also have strips for quick checks (I know they are wickedly inaccurate, especially for saltwater) but they're testing ammonia at 1.5, nitrites as 1, pH as 8.2.

I am so freaking confused.

Can they tell anything from the substrate? I'm not trudging the 35 gallon down there no, just a sample. :P Trying to get the ten gallon set up as quickly as possible to move some of the rock and coral out.

Well, the guys at aquarium central are as confused as I am. Water testing spot on perfect now, but everything is still coming out of the sand and rock work to die. I guess we'll see how it goes and hope or some survivors. :boom: