High Ammonia Edmonton Water Alert!

Aquarium Central (FB Post)

WARNING !!!! HIGH AMMONIA IN EDMONTON WATER

Please be advised that the ammonia in Edmonton's tap water is very high at the moment. Several of our customers have had wipeouts after doing a water change. Our tests are showing above 1.0 ppm toxic levels for our tap water. Adding double dose of water conditioner that have ammonia detoxifier would be a good idea.

According to the head honcho at the RD water treatment facility, the chloramine level is constant year round @ 2 mg/l. (2 ppm)

The tests that I have performed over the years have confirmed that this info is accurate. Generally with chloramine there is really no reason for ammonia levels to be increased during times of turbidity, such as spring run off, or heavy rains.

Has anyone actually tested the Edmonton tap water, with a test kit that can accurately test for free ammonia once the chlorine/ammonia bond has been broken with a water conditioner such as Seachem Prime, or Safe - when dosing for 2 ppm?

Most aquarium test kits will give a false positive, and are not accurate when testing for residual free ammonia.

BTW - testing for total ammonia, is not the same as testing for free ammonia. Only the latter is of concern to the health of your fish, so if the 1.0 ppm "toxic" ammonia level came from a total ammonia reading using a standard test kit, everyone can relax.

People manage to wipe out their tanks on a regular basis, and it is seldom due to an ammonia spike in the tap water.

I asked tonight at the store, and have found them reliable for testing correctly. I use test strips and bring them my water for more accurate readings. Didn't mean to freak anyone out, but rather forewarned is fore armed.

It's a simple enough question - what test kit are they using to test for "free" ammonia?

Probably Seachem, but that's conjecture. They could be using higher end kits. This being said, most commercial test kits don't test for poop relative to what a lab can tell you.

Shouldn't there be a report on EPCOR or whoever it is that deals with treating out water that will settle this for sure?

@SuperGuppyGirl: Not to be mean, but anything is more accurate than test strips.

Edited by 425nm

Probably, maybe, might be? It would be nice to know. Also, for this purpose the Seachem Multi Test kit is plenty accurate enough when it comes to testing for free ammonia (NH3).

FYI - typically the water leaving the EPCOR plant in Edmonton is the same as here in RD, 2 mg/l chloramine. Not saying that something hasn't changed recently at EPCOR, but without knowing what kind of test kit was used, and what type of ammonia was found at 1.0 ppm I certainly wouldn't be getting too excited about any of this.