The 'New' AA

There are several changes coming to AA in the VERY near future... namely the change to a proper domain and a proper server. This site has provided a solid and well-intentioned starting point, and the time has come for AA to move to the next level, as a fully independant and growing community. We'll have the freedom to add features, customize the site, and hey!! even the Search button will work!

While we are unsure of exactly when the move will happen (there are several variables at play that are completely beyond my control) it WILL hapen in the next few days.

ALL CURRENT POSTS/MEMBERS/ETC will be there!

Please make note of our new addresses, so when this board is locked down, you'll be able to find the new home...

http://www.AlbertaAquatica.com

Thanks! See you there!

why don't my pictures seem to work? Is there a format issue? My avatar was screwy as well - had to go back to standard...

For example...

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=3296

but I see that other pictures are still working..... :eh:

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=3113&st=15

Edited by thefishdude

Reason for that: The first example had the picture uploaded to the Invisionfree server, where there were about 1395 pictures to transfer (each one requiring the following steps: right click, Save Target As, type in manually the name of the picture originally, and Save)... and I was not going to be the one to do it, one at a time... The second example is hosted off site and thus is still a valid link.

Moral of the story? it is MUCH more advisable to host them off site and link them!

There will be a 'personal photo album' modification coming soon... allowing each member to upload a selection of images to suit their posting and sharing needs. This and many more 'enhancements' will begin to come down the line after the board is stabilized and we're settled into the new digs.

In the meantime, uploads to this site have been disabled pending the photo album addition in the near future. 99% of the ISP packages out there come with a substantial amount of personal webspace to post your pictures and link back to them. While AA is getting it's fins under it, please try to use the other options available to you. If you require help for anything, ever, just PM me.

My pics came with the new site because i'm hosting them from my computer at home. I don't use one of those public photo album sites.

The problem with hosting from my house is i have a static IP that constantly changes every couple of months. So i have to make sure i always have my IP updated for them to work.

Any one can host pictures from their home PC is they use Windows XP Pro. The only catch is you have to leave the computer on all the time. That is why i run my personal website and pictures on a file server that never gets shut off.

If someone needs help or wants me to show them how to set that up (and they have XP Pro)... PM me. if a couple people want me too, i can make a document explaining how and post it on this site.

let me know!

nev

~EDIT to say: this is not for everyone... Leaving your computer on 24/7 creates security issues, and may allow people to get a hold of you computer through open ports. Security messures are suggested like firewalls as such.~

Edited by nevchewy

In the meantime, uploads to this site have been disabled pending the photo album addition in the near future.

See above... I know I said it was there, but the reviewing the system left me questioning it's security and usefullness as opposed to a 'real' photo album. I will look into the various options over the next few days, and after discussing it with the others, we'll proceed with the best option for all involved.

The biggest problem with the file uploads as it exists is that it is completely unmonitored for file types and for quotas per person. As we pay cold hard cash every month for the site, we'll need to have a few cost controls in place, until our future financially can be balanced with the needs of the site. As well, if a malicious user (not saying we have them, but...) was to upload a dangerous file to the server, the impacts could be massive.

Actually, my intention was to attach a spreadsheet file ...

I don't know how the Photo Album would accomodate this, but hey ... just a thought ... I realize potential danger, and some virus scanning utilities would probably shell out few extra $ and resources ..

Until the photo albums are put into the system, you can host your images off: http://imageshack.us/

It's user friendly especially for forum users and it generates different types of links that may be of use (thumbnailing, image embedding in a post or webpage, etc.)

embedded:

hitctrla0qb.jpg

thumbnail:

hitctrla0qb.th.jpg

direct link:

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/7366/hitctrla0qb.jpg

It's also free, no quotas or anything but batch uploads are not free... meaning that you have to load them one by one. You don't have to register to use it, but it's easier to manage the photos that you have uploaded to umageshack otherwise you have to keep track of all the links that have been generated.