Doing Some More Work In The Fish Room

jeremoose

Hello all. Finally decided to start growing my own food for my adult Cichlids so I decided upon Marbled Crays and Convicts for breeding. I am going with a 20g for breeding the Convicts and a 10g for the Crays (for now, to see how it goes). Additionally I wanted to build my own stand for the two so they could sit one on top of the other.

I work construction and was able to salvage all the materials for the stand from the garbage pile so it was cheap BUT I didn't have a lot of quality lumber to work with considering all the lumber was ice-encrusted cut-offs.

89850606.jpg

34194008.jpg

almostcompleted.jpg

competed.jpg

The more-or-less completed stand, not too bad considering the materials I had to work with! I've opted not to paint this one and just leave it natural color and see how it looks.

The filter I've decided to use for the breeding tank is this 3d background that doubles as a sponge filter, can't remember the name/brand so if somebody could tell me that'd be great. It's currently cycling in one of my larger tanks.

More pictures to follow a little later today.

I built the stand to actually fight a 30 on top with a 20 below it. Additionally I left the center section open in case we wanted to do a full stack and do 2x20g and 1x30g.

stackl.jpg

EDIT: 24" glow fixture over the Cray breeding tank because I haven't been able to locate a 20" fixture from anyone *cough*.

Also I'd like to thank AJanzen again for the awesome Java Moss for my Cray tank :)

Edited by jeremoose

Updating with a Fluval EBI that I started up last week:

ebi1.jpg

And today:

ebi2.jpg

That hygro grows every bit as fast as they say it does.. Unbelievable.

EDIT: is that Hygro Polysperma in the back there? Also, can I make it propagate by trimming them in half and replanting the trimmings?

Edited by jeremoose

So as per advice I've received both on this site and on others I've trimmed my Hygro right back (cut it in half) and replanted. I also read that just single leaves are known to produce growth so I pulled a couple leaves and planted them in the front right corners to see if that is the case. Additionally I pulled a couple leaves and left them as floaters to see if they'd sprout.

After the trim:

ebi3.jpg

looks good. You gonna put more plants in there? A bunch of dwarf sagittaria in the foreground might look pretty good and they are pretty low maintenance plants. I dont think I have ever seen hygro leaves grow out again but could be wrong.

Also, just a note. The Fluval Ebi/Flora have that 3D background in there that has had issues for some people where the silicon that is used to attach it to the glass lets go from the foam. Since its very buoyant it can potentially knock the glass top off. Not saying it will happen but just making you aware of the potential.

looks good. You gonna put more plants in there? A bunch of dwarf sagittaria in the foreground might look pretty good and they are pretty low maintenance plants. I dont think I have ever seen hygro leaves grow out again but could be wrong.

Also, just a note. The Fluval Ebi/Flora have that 3D background in there that has had issues for some people where the silicon that is used to attach it to the glass lets go from the foam. Since its very buoyant it can potentially knock the glass top off. Not saying it will happen but just making you aware of the potential.

Thanks for the heads-up on the back foam piece as well as the advice on a foreground plant, I was trying to think of something I wanted in the front. :D

• 1 month later...

So as per advice I've received both on this site and on others I've trimmed my Hygro right back (cut it in half) and replanted. I also read that just single leaves are known to produce growth so I pulled a couple leaves and planted them in the front right corners to see if that is the case. Additionally I pulled a couple leaves and left them as floaters to see if they'd sprout.

After the trim:

ebi3.jpg

Just to follow up here about my question regarding whether or not Hygro can propagate from a SINGLE leaf trimming.. The answer? Yes. The leaf I planted in the front right of the tank kept coming loose so I gave up on it but the one in the front left has taken root finally! I was incredibly surprised it would grow from a single leaf.

leafgrowth.jpg

Please forgive the algae. And the full tank shot:

74233803.jpg

Wasn't quite done wiping all the algae off the glass before I took the pictures and additionally my wife stepped on the glass top a couple weeks ago creating a real evaporation problem, hence the low water line.

Initially I couldn't find any of the Green Shrimp in this tank that I'd bought at the Edmonton auction, but as the foliage grows in I'm noticing more and more. I'm fairly certain I have a berried female as well, though it's hard to tell with the angles I've had to look from. Buying any Green Shrimp you've got! *nudge*

Thanks for looking.

• 2 months later...