3 Week Old Platy Fry

DustinWozniak

Hey y'all,

So after struggling getting my Platys to give birth successfully in my community tank I have finally succeeded a couple weeks ago. By the time I got home from I noticed 5 fry swimming in the bottom of the breeding trap... My angelfish staring right at them (I'm sure he made a meal out of whichever found their way out)

Anyways... So i moved them into a little two and a half gallon tank thAt I pulled water from my established tank for and placed filter media in it. They have been in there for roughly 3 weeks and have grown a considerable amount but are still small. I am wondering how big I should let them get before placing them in the community tank.?

P.s. I have a fair bit of floating plants...

I've seen young angels try to eat full grown cardinal tetras - looked like they were smoking a bright red and blue cigar!

I'm with Jvision on this one. I made the mistake once of putting in some small angels (1inch on body, maybe 1.5") with my endlers. There were about 100+ endlers, ranging from full grown adults to fresh fry. After watching them get settled in all looked well, they didn't go chasing down the endlers or any such initially. Next morning was a different story. The four young angles had cleaned house, no fry were left, few males to be found with only the larger females relatively safe. After all that I thought the culprits would at least have bulging stomachs...nope, looked like they were half starved...crazy.

Antonio