Rimless, Now What?

creekbottom

I got bored yesterday and had a few things kicking around... Now I have another box filled with water!

photo_zpsb94d857b.jpg

I've never had rimless before, do you have to keep it filled right to the brim to avoid a hard water line?

The background is an experiment, I usually go black. It's very cheery though, makes me want to be on a beach.

During the cleaning of the glass, just make sure that you get all the way to the top and you won't have to worry about any hardwater at all. And if you do get some, a razor blade and a good scrubbing pad will take it off easy.

Nice looking tank! What are you planning to stock it with?

Thanks for the tips! I'm undecided on what to put in it, NOT A BETTA. I've already got a planted betta tank and it's kind of boring. I was thinking of dwarf cories but it will depend on how many plants I stuff into this thing. I was thinking maybe scarlet badis but I'm all about low maintenance fish, finicky eaters doesn't sound like something I want.

maybe a pair of occies, or a trio of multis? The fry fry sell easily enough and the parents tolerate the fry for a long time (or in the case of the multis - forever). I love shellies.

+1

(if that tank is over 10 gallons)

i used to love watching my multi colony grow, i will definitely keep them again in the future when i get a fish room

You can still get a pair of multis in there, you will just have to remove the fry once they are 1/4". I had a Multi pair in my 3g for a long time - until I bought them a 20g!

Too small for occies I think, mine were quite quarrelsome in a tank under 10g.

Shrimp tank, if you like shrimp. Perhaps a crayfish or some other unusual thing.

• 1 month later...

What does it mean when you have off the chart ammonia, NO nitrite, and crazy high nitrate?

Good thing this is still fishless. I've tested my water change water and it's at .25 (surprise!! need to use more Prime) but I've also seeded the filter with biomedia.

Weeelllll..... This tank is a bit of an experiment, maybe it's going a little south right now lol. I put a layer of SmartCote pebbles on the bottom of the tank, covered with sand. After further thought I think my cycle is established and working. There is just so much ammonia, that would explain the 0 nitrite but high nitrates.

Surprisingly, the pond snails haven't noticed anything! That ammonia test was blue, notice the API chart only goes to a very dark green. Cockroaches and pond snails...