Adding Gourami(S)

flash_oesc

Ok, so I'm at 2 polar opposites in fish keeping. I have my 29G and my 75G. My 29G was my first tropical tank, and as such, I stocked it like a fish virgin, and failed to research appropriately…I’m sorry, but I also hate giving fish back to the LFS. They don't do any sort of credit/exchange, so I try to live with my mistakes. :blush:

I also have a 75g, which I have researched and labored and researched and labored to ensure it is ideal (Gotten a bunch of babies out of it to boot!).

This question is for the 29. You can see in my signature what I have stocked…and it isn’t pretty, but it’s working. My wife is ‘suggesting’ (demanding) we add gouramis to this tank. She wants to add 3 of the dwarf species. I understand my Asian catfish poses all sorts of problems, and will be rehomed shortly (he’s only 2” right now).

I’m nervous about adding gouramis. I’ve been reading about the diseases, aggression…etc Is this all blown out of proportion, or something that should be of serious concern. I have one pet store in my city, and they’ve had the same gouarmis in stock for a while (no death in the tank). I can’t guarantee the quality or origin of the stock, but I don’t have much choice. The fish in my 75 came from Harold :thumbs:

I have housed gouramis before and have found them fairly hardy. My royal blue (Fun Man Chu) actually grew to 4". The problem I see more is getting a harem, as 2 males will stress each other out and some can be very aggressive and stress everyone else out. With a trio of 1M 2 F, aggression is spread as well as amorous intentions. LFS tend to bring in more males than females, if they have had them for a while and they are pretty active and not to dark, might be worth the risk. A QT and a deworming might land you some spectacular fish.

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

• 11 months later...

• I currently have 2 dwarf gouramis, one is a flame and the other is in between a fire and a powder blue. I had them in a 55, and never noticed any aggression... I just recently set up a 90 gallon with floating plants, thinking everyone would be happy and overjoyed with their new big home! Unfortunately, the only ones not happy are the gouramis. The flame chases the other one relentlessly, more often than the reverse. I am actually going to relocate the bluish one to my other tank where he can be alone.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a single powder blue Dwarf Gourami in with a number of species including Rasboras, Tetras, Neon Blue Guppies, and a Black Fin Cory, and no problems at all. They all get along quite well. I've never seen any aggression from the Gourami.