Substrate Suggestions

KimW

So I have a 15g tank and a spare hob filter from an old 30g, and I have always wanted to attempt a planted tank. I am on a considerably tight budget and am wondering what would be the best substrate and amount in a tank this size, that is relatively well priced?

Also what would be recommended for lighting?

Agreed with ckmullin.

Lighting all depends on what kind of plants you want to keep.

As for substrate, I usually mix a bag of flourite with potting soil and cap it with gravel or sand, depending on what look I want.

Im curious, when you do this do you skip cleaning the sand period?

thanks,

Antonio

The thing about sand is that it compacts and fish poop and uneaten food will just sit on top of it. I use my gravel cleaner and kind of wave it above the sand to create a current that lifts those bits into the water column a bit and then hose it up. Takes a bit of practice but it's very easy.

What type of potting soil would you recommend? Also i do plan eventually to keep community fish in this tank, do i plant it then cycle it or how does that work? Maybe a silly question but where I am new to this I want to get as much information as I can, before i start it.

The thing about sand is that it compacts and fish poop and uneaten food will just sit on top of it. I use my gravel cleaner and kind of wave it above the sand to create a current that lifts those bits into the water column a bit and then hose it up. Takes a bit of practice but it's very easy.

If you create a current in your tank, by using filter outflow or otherwise, the dirt will not sit over the sand surface, but will accumulate in one or two spots, typically in plant thickets, outside of view, but from where it can be easily vacuumed.

The disadvantage of using gravel is that dirt accumulates all over the tank, and becomes more difficult to remove.

As far as plants I'm going fairly basic for now, as I am just a beginner. I am figuring on doing an asian theme riverbed type tank, so whatever plant life will fit into that. I haven't yet done all the research on specific plant species that belong in this habitat or the exact lighting and current requirements.

Is a flourescent light generally better to meet lighting requirements?

As well what sort of general wattage should I consider that will basically cover all of my needs plant wise, that will in conjunction with providing suitable lighting for my plants bring out the vibrant colors of the fish?

As far as fish Rasboras for sure will be in it. They are an interesting little fish, that's about as far as I have gotten with it.

I am thinking I will probably go the sand route as I really like the look of sand over gravel.

You don't want to gravel vac your tank...no way 100% nooooooooooo. All that stuff that the fish leave is food for plants. If you vac out the gold you'll have less nutrient for the plant. Of course there is a balance.

If you wanted a planted tank get MTS snails as they turn over the substrate and eat what the plants wont use.

I just use plain sand and add liquid ferts. I had problems with potting soil and algae.

Lighting:

HO T5's are my favorite - perhaps you can find a used fixture on here or Kijiji.

It isn't so much wattage anymore - since incandescent light bulbs seem to be vanishing.

I look for a K rating of 6,500K - 8,000K. I have used 10,000K before with no issues (other than trimming stem plants every week).

You don't want to gravel vac your tank...no way 100% nooooooooooo. All that stuff that the fish leave is food for plants. If you vac out the gold you'll have less nutrient for the plant. Of course there is a balance.

If you wanted a planted tank get MTS snails as they turn over the substrate and eat what the plants wont use.

I should have mentioned that my tank is sectioned off by a bed of sand, the other substrate is flourite. No plants in the sand. I only clean the sand for looks but leave the flourite unvacuumed.

Good info thanks. As Kim mentioned, any specific potting soil you'll would would care to mention? Also, have you tried using a mesh to keep the soil/lfourite base in place?

cheers,

Antonio

Any type with no added compost, no added fertilizer, no added anything. Read the bag to make sure and open it if you have to to make sure there's no bark and things like that in there. I have never used it but some people claim Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix is really good.

I found that I run into less algae issues down the road if I prepared the soil before using it. Some people soak and dry it in the sun few times, some people boil it, some bake it. This is to break down any organic compounds that still might be in the soil which in turn causes algae when it breaks down (simplified). I'm pretty lazy so I just leave it in a wheelbarrow with water for a week on my deck or so until it dries, I might do that 2 or 3 times.

No mesh, I either use my finger and push it beneath the sand or pick it up and chuck it on a side with flourite on it. :D

Edited by Jro

one thing that I didnt know is that if you go too deep with the sand, you will get anaerobic areas. I experienced this in my tank. In those areas my plants wouldnt grow. Mind you in that area was something like 3.5 inches of sand but it should be known. It even seemed that the mts stayed away from there as well. It was under some rocks. Lesson learned.

I should also mention that I have read that the compost thing is only a bad idea if bought commercially since a lot of compost companies will put additives in their compost to enhance the effects of their product.

If you google it, there are countless formulas that people swear by for their tanks, formulas that many others would counter with various lists of potential cons. Since this is your first planted tank, I would recommend a more common substrate, one that will allow you to rule out other factors in your set up. Many plants will grow more than adequately in gravel, but if you are looking for a more comprehensive suggestion, I would throw Flourite out there as a suggestion. ADA has a pretty sweet system out there too.

Good luck with you plants! It can be a rewarding part of the hobby! :)

Edited by jamesbarr