Thoughts On A Tank Rack

Tigs

Okay, space is limited so I'm stuck with using a 36" by 18" shelving unit, claims to be rated for 4,000lbs if perfectly stacked. Thus should hold the weight.

I'm wondering if I dare put 10G tanks in lengthwise, meaning the length of the tanks, 20" front to back, on the 18" of shelf. I'm thinking it will probably be fine, but have

never actually tried it.

If anyone has done this please let me know if you had any issue.

annnnnd if it's just a really bad idea feel free to say 'bad bad bad' :)

cheers, and thanks in advance,

Antonio

I have a couple of racks set up for my shrimps tanks. I know Ron and a couple of shrimp guy in calgary also have done the same.

_NL_4882.jpg

2 x 23G in the middle and 3 x 10G on the bottom

I also started a 2nd rack; 33" x 14" with 20G long tanks on the top 3 levels

The 18" are fine but just leave some pack behind the rack if you plan on having HOB filters. If you have the space I would recommend investing in the more heavy duty racks from Home depot or Rona. I believe they are a bit bigger, 54-60" wide and 24" but a lot more studier! I know I would have done that route for my first one if i had to do it again.

I know exactly what shelf you're using! I just bought the 48"x24" one and plan to do a 10g breeding rack with some 20 gallons sprinkled in. I'll be interested to see how your build goes.

LOL yep sounds like you do, 4,000lbs limit on that one too, but not sure I can squeeze it into the room I want to since it's not a pure fish room..Course, that means I 'could' do a fish room <looks around for his wife>

:)

Antonio

I have a couple of racks set up for my shrimps tanks. I know Ron and a couple of shrimp guy in calgary also have done the same.

_NL_4882.jpg

The 18" are fine but just leave some pack behind the rack if you plan on having HOB filters. If you have the space I would recommend investing in the more heavy duty racks from Home depot or Rona. I believe they are a bit bigger, 54-60" wide and 24" but a lot more studier! I know I would have done that route for my first one if i had to do it again.

Yep, this is a hope depot shelving unit vs their rack system, but says it's rated for 4,000lbs overall. So thinking if I'm not even hitting 1000lbs I should be ducky...in theory :)

Good point on the space behind the unit, need that for all sorts of plumbing & wiring ;)

Antonio

_NL_4882.jpg

Yep, this is a hope depot shelving unit vs their rack system, but says it's rated for 4,000lbs overall. So thinking if I'm not even hitting 1000lbs I should be ducky...in theory :)

Good point on the space behind the unit, need that for all sorts of plumbing & wiring ;)

Antonio

I'm planning on putting 5-600 pounds PER shelf, hopefully it'll be alright. I'll let you know what happens when I fill all the 10 gallons up tomorrow! :D

_NL_4882.jpg

23G? Where did you get them made? Gotta be a custom job to fit that stand....

Plantfan

_NL_4882.jpg

23G? Where did you get them made? Gotta be a custom job to fit that stand....

Plantfan

They are rimless tanks made by Hagen a few years back - don't think you can get them any more or nor did i never see them at any LFS. I saw them in the catalog and as able to get my friend to order them in for me. similar to a standard 20G but a bit deeper - it used metric unit for dimensions: 60 (W) x 40 (H) x 36 (D) cm. Not as nice as the ADA tanks cuz it uses black silicon but they only cost a fraction of the price of the 60cm ADA tanks.

that particular one is the Hagen Glo T5HO fixture - most of the other lights on my racks are LED. I will probably switch that one out for LED eventually as LED does not generate as much heat so it would lower the demands on my cooling system. I have have my fans all the time as i live in a condo it stay fairly warm, even in the winter.of cost if heat isn't an issue T5 or T8 are a lot economical. You can get those sunblaster t5HO strip lights for around $40 ea at Lee Valley Tools or any T8 shop light from home depot for around the same

depend on what you want to do with the tanks - my shrimp tanks only have a bit of moss and java fern so my lighting requirements are minimal. unless you plan ton have plants with high light demands you probably only need a single or dual bulb setup. I think my dual T5HO fixture puts out too much light for what i have in the two middle tanks