Vals Browning?

beautylovetruth

Hey everyone,

I picked up some Val. Nanta at the February auction. It's been a few weeks and I have notice a few things.

1) I have one plant that has already sent off runners! AWESOME.

2) My snail is not eating the plants (bonus)

3) Some of the leaves are brown. This is occurring on the plants I have and on the one runner. Is this the melting I've heard about? I've noticed, brown and green algae on my driftwood, thermometer and filter. I was wondering if this was another possibility.

Tank parameters:

-Lights are standard fluorescent. The tank does get some indirect sunlight so I don't turn on the lights until after I get home. On for about 6 hours a day.

- 0-0 and 5-10 for readings

- 28oC consistent temp

-Fish are fed once a day

-Fish stock is in my signature.

Honestly, I did nothing special to encourage the growth and that's why I got Vals in the first place. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

-Trina

Do you know the wattage and type of fluorescent lights you have (T8, T5,etc)? If you have a lot of plants in there, you may actually need more light - brown algae is a common symptom of not enough light in planted tanks. If you only have a few plants, it may just be time to change the bulbs - old bulbs tend to cause all of the symptoms you list.

I can't access the link on my phone for some reason, but if your tank is more than 15gal your light levels are pretty low. If it is a T8 bulb, you can use replacement bulbs from the hardware store instead of having to buy LFS bulbs. 8-12months is about the life of a fluorescent bulb.

They look fine for what you have - you may want to upgrade to 13-20W bulbs (curly ones from just about any store); but, then you'll probably want to add supplimental carbon (CO2, Excel/Metricide). Can you post a pic of the tank?

I don't see anything wrong - if you want bright green growth all the time, a steady photoperiod could help like was mentioned above.

A few drops of Excel per day may help too; but don't over do it, as overdosing will kill your Val.