Zebra pleco

Smokey

Imperial Zebra Plecostomus:

It is a relatiely peaceful pleco, from muddy River basins of Brazil's Rio Xingu and is not a true alga eater. The Zebra pleco, prefers a more varied diet and carnivorous food as well as greens.

The Zebra can grow up to 3" in length. Keep at 77 to 80F, wih regular partial water changes. It is a hardy fish that can handle a relative large Ph range. They like soft sandy substrates with plenty of hiding places.

The Zebra pleco, still demands a hefty price due to its obvios striking patterns, and relative rarity.

It has been bred in captivity but seldomly.

An Albertan, Mr. R. Roberts has been credited with being the first to breed this species.

post-8-1090763069

I read on another forum that the zebra pleco isn't being caught anymore

Actually, according to the ICOSA report translation at PC, they will no longer be collected, so the only exports will be fish that were already being held for shipment in Brazil. Looking for tank raised fish will be your best bet, IMO.

Not sure this is right but i would explain why the price keeps going up and up.

Val; could you pm me the forum address/link ?

Nope! WILDS are available. From one source.

Depends on who is registered to collect them!!!!! Current price for wild caught - $80.00 U.S. each - wholesale! you will need a importers license. and minimun purchase + cost's.

Now you know why they are so expensive.

Bob bred ""wilds"" . it took him three years. I was there, personally!

Once you know how - they are difficult and $$$.$$ :D to breed.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showt...&threadid=32437 is the address.

I have always wanted a zebra pleco. Breeding them would be dream. I can only imagine how cute baby zebras are :P . I remember when you could get them for 30$ at dad's fishroom. SHould have picked some up when i had the chance. Now i jsut dont' have 100$ to spend on 1 fish.

thanks Val.

A 2.5" Hypancistrus zebra - L046 will cost you $80.00 U.S. [ discounted from thier suggested list / retail of $199.00] +++ plus all the extra $$.$$ to get them up here.

Hindsight is in the pocket book :P :D