Shrimp Questions

OldCanuk

So. This site is full of knowledgable people that can probably give me more first hand info than my googling for it.

Question #1: Are Fire Red Shrimp just an intense colored Cherry red shrimp?

Question #2: Can you cross breed the 2 and expect a more intense red in your cherry red shrimp?

Question #3: are red rili shrimp related to cherry reds? If so can you cross bred with cherry reds and if so what can you expect from the outcome?

Question #4: If you purchase low grade Crystal Red shrimp is it safe to house them with my yellow shrimp and is it possible that you could get higher grade offspring?

Lot of questions but can you help?

Question #1: Are Fire Red Shrimp just an intense colored Cherry red shrimp?

Yes

Question #2: Can you cross breed the 2 and expect a more intense red in your cherry red shrimp?

Yes and No. depends on your point of reference. Compared to your regular cherry shrimps? Yes. Compared to your fire red, probably not. Most just cull out any clear looking ones (make sure you don't cull all the males though). Ideally you would keep them separate so you can keeping breeding your Fire Red within themselves while adding some of them to your red cherry colony.

Question #3: are red rili shrimp related to cherry reds? If so can you cross bred with cherry reds and if so what can you expect from the outcome?

Yes, they are red cherry shrimps with a clear mid section. I haven't done so myself but the offspring between the two should have varying degrees of "clear" sections

Question #4: If you purchase low grade Crystal Red shrimp is it safe to house them with my yellow shrimp and is it possible that you could get higher grade offspring?

Depends on your parameters but from personl experience I found there is very small overlap for their parameters - your best bet is to get some that have been acclimatized (i.e born) in conditions similar to your yellow shrimp tanks. If you selectively breed them you can improve their white coverage but it will take many, many, many, generations

I'm going to add on for the Rili's, with my colony they breed like regular cherrys, and prefer cool temps over warm. Mine are now in a population explosion at 76F. Currently from my original 8 I have found Rili's, Cherrys, Snowball and a few greens. Neat little guys.

I'm going to add on for the Rili's, with my colony they breed like regular cherrys, and prefer cool temps over warm. Mine are now in a population explosion at 76F. Currently from my original 8 I have found Rili's, Cherrys, Snowball and a few greens. Neat little guys.

So jealous.