Stripping My Strawberry Peacock Eggs

AJanzen

So my female strawberry peacock is holding, looks like a lot of eggs. I want to strip her in the next couple of days before she spits them out, any tips? I've seen videos of guys holding the fish and opening their mouth with a small tongue depressor so they'll spit the eggs into a bucket. My concern with this is messing with her slime coat, injuring her, etc... This will be my first time so I don't want to lose a fish due to inexperience. Also, if you do hold the fish I'd have to treat her after to help her slime coat... correct? I have a cycled fry tank set up with an egg tumbler.

On another note, every where I've read says people strip their cichlids after two weeks. I'm not too sure how long she's been holding but it looks like she's ready to burst. Is there any harm in stripping before the two week marker?

Thanks in advance!

It is amazing how much they can fit into their buccal cavity. I'd leave her alone till you can see eyeballs through her skin. Otherwise you are in egg tumbler territory. Let her do her thing.

I simply pick up the female in my hand, and use a paper clip to open her mouth and dunk her a bunch of times.

Another option is to set up a small tank for her, and let nature take its course. You will need one for fry anyways .....

I have a tank set up specifically for this reason, right now it's just some a small BN pleco grow up tank as I figured they wouldn't harass the babies. I have an egg tumbler as well, the reason I want to strip her is that I have yet to have my cichlids hold full term (pretty sure the reason is none of them are big/mature enough). I've had a couple fluke survivors in my tank who were obviously spit out, somehow managed to hatch still, and survived long enough for me to fish them out and separate them but so far I would say I've gotten 1 baby for every time I see a female holding. If I do hold her is the slime coat an issue? Or are cichlids hardy enough not to worry about?

Just make sure your hand is wet before handling the fish and you shouldn't do much, if any, damage. I use a toothpick to open their mouth and dunk them into a large net to collect the eggs.

An option people use is to net the momma, and then gently hold her through the net. That way, you aren't 'holding' her...the net is. I personally removed my females, and let them spit in a 10G...worked like a charm...no perceived threat, and all survived. Got 5 from one and 12 from another in my first batches. (different species than yours).

If you have another tank I would toss her in there. Net her out a couple hours after lights out. She may sleep through most of the mive.

She will hold long enough to have viable fry. Make sure there is moss or plants in there for cover for the little ones. She will do fine. Especially if she can not have to put up with all the other fish and the mayhem of the main tank.

I have a 29 gallon that I set up as a fry tank, I put the holding mother in it and let them do their thing, I had one strawberry peacock I had to strip because she had a rock in her mouth as well, I use the net to fish her out and to keep my hands off of her then using a q-tip open the mouth and let her spit them out into a bowl, dunk her a few times and double check her mouth is empty, put her back in the tank to rest then punt her back to the main tank the next day, I have the batch of eggs tumbling right now, and 35-40 fry in the tank growing out about a 1/2-5/8" or so. normally I let them hold till they spit them normally, if you strip them some will not hold their fry full term on their own and then you always have to strip them later on.

if you strip them some will not hold their fry full term on their own and then you always have to strip them later on.

This is a myth. Many new mothers will swallow eggs, it just takes a couple tries sometimes to get the hang of it.

I have no personal experience on the matter, but I've heard if you strip momma, not to put her in the tank with the babies, because she will collect them again. If you strip mom, but her back in the main tank.

Certain species of fish do not pick up fry once released (or stripped), but peacocks are excellent holders and will pick up thier fry if they escape (or mechanically escape:))

Edited by Noodles