I Did It Again !

SuperGuppyGirl

So scoping out a lfs, I overheard an argument between a customer and an employee. The customer had purchased a pair of kribensis (m/f) around a week/2weeks ago and due to either bad advice from an employee or not enough info from the customer had bought these guys and added them to her guppy tank. I guess the kribs systematically annihalated her entire stock of guppies. The store wouldn't return her money but would accept them back for free. The customer vehemently wanted her money back to purchase more guppies. So being at an impasse the woman left the store kribs in hand but no cash. Feeling bad for her, I approached and offered her $10 for the pair. She accepted and long story short I'm kind of at a loss of what to do with these guys. Going to quarrentine them and see where to go from there. Main question is knowing I shouldn't mix African and SA cichlids, would these work in my 75G with my Cryptoheros? There are Angelfish in there as well which might cause an issue, as well as Timmy's, asstd corys, dwarf plecos and SAEs. I really don't want to have to devote an entire 10G just to these pair but I have always liked kribs and their water parameters are similar to my Cryptos. Thanks in advance

Mixing West Africans and South Americans is more preference than anything - it's when you try to mix Rift Lake Africans, which prefer hard, alkaline water, with South Americans that issues can arise.

That all being said. Your Cryptos and Kribs are quite similar; basically filling the same niche in their prospective environments. If you have enough space, it could work long term. Keep an eye on them.

I'd not worry about the angels. I used to keep my main pair of kribs in my 90G tank with 7 angels, 3 pairs among them. At breeding time the angels kept everyone at bay, when the kribs bred they kept the angels (yes all 7) away, and raised their young till 10+ days in a heavy pop community tank. In my experience, neither species messed with the other, no fin nipping etc.

cheers,

Antonio