Brand New Rainbow Fry

Jayba

Tinkering around tonight, scooping M. Splendida Splendida (Deepwater Creek) fry out of the bucket, and figured hey, I wonder if I can get a picture of these little things?

The white squiggles in the background are microworms (about 1-2mm long) and the tupperwear is on a paper towel.

These little fry are nothing but eyeballs and color, delicate little things. I have about 80 fry that hatched out in the last 3 days, we shall see how many I get......and how many make it to adolescence.......haha

IMG_3147_zps3e6b6d7a.jpg

IMG_3149_zps0076f333.jpg

Wow these guys do not waste any time!

As usual great shots.

You may also try feeding some 50 micron powder for a bit as the microworm may be to big?

Congrats John

Wow these guys do not waste any time!

As usual great shots.

You may also try feeding some 50 micron powder for a bit as the microworm may be to big?

Congrats John

These guys were throwing eggs from day one. But I didn't have them in a species only tank till last week.

I do have sera micron for them. I tossed the micro worms in for fun as they won't foul the water. But nobody ate them. All the little green dots of the Sera Micron were done this morning, that's a good sign. Had another 20 new fry in the bucket this morning when I looked. I am going to try and count them today. P

I have totally enjoyed these guys, they eat greedily every time, they actually school in the tank, which I would think they will outgrow.

Fun little project so far. They are prolific, and so far forgiving for a rainbow newb like me. Maybe ill do updates showing what I'm doing.

Jorg, yesterday I had no snow on my front yard, thus morning I woke up to 5 inches! Everything is still kinda frozen unlike Calgary, but just like Edmonton. My son has already asked about going to catch "critters." I want a daphnia culture.

Just got home from baseball, and the food I dropped in this morning is gone already! All the little green specs that you see in the tray were gone this morning too. Healthy little eaters. Just scooped out another 1/2 dozen fry. I wonder how long this will go on for? Lol.

Edited by Jayba

It is good to hear that you are having fun with this fish Jay. I believe it to be in the top 5 species of bows when it come to having fun with. No doubt an excellent species to practise with but I think now, you will find the rest of the species will be almost as easy. When are you going to breed your boesemani "Lake Aytinjo" :)

It won't be long for these young to be dining on the micro-worms, another great food that you can introduce to them in the next few days is Arctic Copepods. Especially for this species, as it really brings out the red in them. You will notice the high Astaxanthin levels in the write up, so this food should only be used as supplemental.

Will be looking for further updates.

Ric

So here is a little information on what I have been doing to hatch and transfer the fry.

IMG_3159_zpse1d9e5f4.jpg

These are the tools I have been using.

Blue scoop from to grab the little fry and transfer them to a 5x8 shallow tupperwear from the dollar store.

Sera Micron fry food.

Chop stick to serve up the food from the container

Large toomy syringe to remove excess water and food

Smaller syringe with an airline and hard plastic pipe at the tip for more delicate sucking of water and waste

IMG_3163_zps42451a59.jpg

Here is the hatchery contraption (Saw this at Ricks house): Heater set at 79 degrees, air stone on lightly, mops hanging off a stick across a 5 gallon bucket, and tank water from the breeding tank. I float the tray with the fry in it to keep them warm and so I don't tempurature shock them as I transfer them. There are 105 fry in that tray!

They seem to hatch at night, so come morning I take the tray out and start scooping out fry. Although I think most of the eggs that are going to hatch have, but who knows there could be another 20 fry in the am. Not real sure when I had put the mop in the tank originally, and it was in there for a week or so. I'll leave it in there till there are no more fry coming out in the night.

You have to be very delicate, as the fry are so small even agitating the water too hard can damage them. I think sucking them up with the syringe would destroy them as well. I have had a couple oops incidents while cleaning. I have learned to take more care, and the fry have learned to stay outta the way. I have had lost 6 or so, and I would bet it was me being too rammy.

IMG_3166_zps793a59a9.jpg

I leave for Calgary for 2 days tomorrow morning, we shall see how the fish momma makes out while I am gone :)

It is good to hear that you are having fun with this fish Jay. I believe it to be in the top 5 species of bows when it come to having fun with. No doubt an excellent species to practise with but I think now, you will find the rest of the species will be almost as easy. When are you going to breed your boesemani "Lake Aytinjo" smile.png

It won't be long for these young to be dining on the micro-worms, another great food that you can introduce to them in the next few days is Arctic Copepods. Especially for this species, as it really brings out the red in them. You will notice the high Astaxanthin levels in the write up, so this food should only be used as supplemental.

Will be looking for further updates.

Ric

These little guys are fun for sure. Thanks for recomending them to me. I still cant get over how these guys feed.You would think I neglect them every other day.

Unfortuneately the Bosemani are in Edmonton still, just need to figure out how to get them down here, but as soon as I get them I will try and get the boesemani "Lake Aytinjo" breeding machine fired up and see what pops out the other side.

I have been feeding cyclop-eeze since I got the M. Splendida along with the usual goodies my fish get. Black worms vacuum infused with vitachem, (Don't tell Claudia what happens to her marinater after she goes to bed!) NLS, blood worms, Cyclops-eeze, brine shrimp, microworms, wafers from Almost Natural Fish Foods and soon daphnia. If Red Deer ever thaws out!

When my new camera gear shows up, I'll clean the glass and blast some pictures off of what I have going on.

Cheers

I have been feeding cyclop-eeze since I got the M. Splendida along with the usual goodies my fish get. Black worms vacuum infused with vitachem, (Don't tell Claudia what happens to her marinater after she goes to bed!) NLS, blood worms, Cyclops-eeze, brine shrimp, microworms, wafers from Almost Natural Fish Foods and soon daphnia. If Red Deer ever thaws out!

When my new camera gear shows up, I'll clean the glass and blast some pictures off of what I have going on.

Cheers

Excellent variety of good food! Should produce some excellent fish. The thing that makes this species so fun to work with is the hunger of this fish.

These Guys attack food like piraƱa that smell blood!

John

Everytime I go by the fishroom I throw a little something .... different then what they had earlier .... in with them. Someone, somewhere disected a rainbowfish in the wild and found like 22 different kinds of food in it's belly. So basically you are replicating the growth of this young in the wild, by providing a wide variety of foods and them eating all the time. Well this can be a little difficult as time you have availalble may not permit. Some days mine will get feed only twice but some days they may get feed 5 or 6 times.

My group are starting to get to a nice size for pictures .... so it will be fun to post some later. Drop by while you are in Calgary and I will give you a small bottle of the Arctic Copepods.

Ric