Ancistrus Claro - Lda008

DJay

I just picked up the most recent Amazonas magazine and there is a short article in it on a dwarf bristlenose pleco, Ancistrus claro (LDA 008). I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen these around recently or had any experience keeping them. I did a search of the forum and there was a brief reference in 2007 of them being at a Calgary FS but nothing else showed up. I really haven't kept any plecos over the years, as I haven't had the larger tanks often needed to keep and breed them (and just haven't been that interested in the regular bristlenose that are available everywhere), but these guys definitely caught my eye. Anyway, if anyone knows anything about them or has seen them anywhere I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

These were at the auctions? I want some, wouldnt mind trying my hand with these guys. I remember seeing a Kijiji ad for someone selling plecos with this title but when I asked for pics he never replied back.

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

I have seen them in the raw once and they didn't look as good as the Internet makes them look. They looked like the Non photoshopped dorsal version on Planet Catfish.

I did catch a glance at what I thought was one about a year ago in Pisces before it went into hiding in a very planted tank. It was very white. Nobody could tell me what it was. :(

They have been breeding in my tanks for a while now. The pictures that probably best represent them would be pics #5, 16 & 19 on the PC species sheet. I would say that mine have more contrast between the base color and the pattern. The vermiculated pattern is quite attractive. Males top out at 3 inches, the females slightly smaller. The young are notoriously slow growers. I recently took 20 young that were pre-sold with me to England to the Catfish Study Group convention March 15-17. ( a topic that I will be discussing at the next A.C.E. meeting) Yes those were mine in the more recent A.C.E. auctions. PM me if you're interested in obtaining some.

Edited by syno321