What Light For A 20 Long?

creekbottom

There may be an opportunity for me to upgrade my 10 gallon planted tank to a 20 long. It's very exciting and I hope it happens. I've been looking around at lighting options and hoping to keep the cost reasonable (I'm cheap.) I would LOVE to get a finnex fugeray but for some reason finnex won't ship their lights here anymore, and the 30" is a little pricey.

What are you using over your 20 long with plants?

I was also looking at a sunblaster or the equivalent from Lee Valley but 30" is right in the middle. Do you over or under size the length?

I'd suggest you figure out what plants you want to have in there first, then determine your lighting requirements. I have 30 G tanks with basic single lamp florescent fixture growing some plants just fine, and I've got high output t5's over another 30G with different plants.

cheers,

Antonio

I have since talked to Finnex, maybe 2 weeks ago. Something to do with customs and they can't or won't ship here for the time being.

Tigs, good idea about what plants or level of light. I usually like to go somewhere around medium, although I know if I use a sunblaster it's going to be more than that. Using Cainechow's ingenious coat hanger solution I can get it above the water, and then use floaters if I need to. The up side is that those lights aren't crazy expensive like a real aquarium light is.

Laurensdad - Have you been able to find those 20" bulbs. I have a couple of those fixtures and the only place I have been able to find them is from Odyssea direct.

I have since talked to Finnex, maybe 2 weeks ago. Something to do with customs and they can't or won't ship here for the time being.

Tigs, good idea about what plants or level of light. I usually like to go somewhere around medium, although I know if I use a sunblaster it's going to be more than that. Using Cainechow's ingenious coat hanger solution I can get it above the water, and then use floaters if I need to. The up side is that those lights aren't crazy expensive like a real aquarium light is.

Laurensdad - Have you been able to find those 20" bulbs. I have a couple of those fixtures and the only place I have been able to find them is from Odyssea direct.

big als and ac stocks the fixters it is hit and miss when you need bulbs i have them on my 27 galon cube and there 18" bulbs there fixters is 20"

http://www.aquatraders.com

bought a t5ho light from them and happy. they also sell led fixtures I believe. (site is down atm for maintenance)

I've bought multiple T5Ho's as well as multiple LED lights from these guys and literally couldn't be happier. The pricing is second to none as well.