"floating" Shelf For 10G Aquarium

cainechow

So there was this idea in the MaxBear shrimp group order thread that one of my tanks was floating because of the lighting in this picture.

IMG_20130502_153458.jpg

That got me thinking that a whole wall of "floating" 10g shrimp tanks would be pretty awesome. So I'm looking for input on building a steel or aluminum framed shelf, maybe square tubes?, that can be bolted to two studs in a wall, yet have a minimal wall footprint. So my requirements are as follows:

• Must support 50 kgs minimum. A full 10 galon tank probably weighs just about 40kgs with substrate so we over build a bit is good.
  • Must have a minimal profile so that it is easier to hide.

To hide the frame I'll silicone up a custom tank that may or may not be super clever ;) but for a 10g with 6mm glass I don't think it'll be an issue.

So is anyone here a welder or have access to one for consultation on the steel shelf frame or a mechanical engineer or just very clever ?

I have put 5 gallon on just a store bought shelf with steel brackets from the hardware store.

I have a 4 foot shelf with a hydroponics planter on the same... 3 brackets....

Edited by geleen

If you didn’t want a bracket id make a L shape wood one 1 inch hard wood glued and screwed should be strong enough and the back of the tank will hide the wood part you screw to the wall and all you would see from the front would be the tank sitting on a inch of plywood

Yes that's it, . welders don't like to weld it because it's galvanized, but B-Line makes accessories so you can also bolt it together. Can be picked up at an electrical wholesaler. I would think someone on here has some scrap strut laying around to help you out.

That so true, that's the one, the cons Jayba mention 1 and the other one its bulky, has to be welded. Heavy & doesn't look very nice

Pros it could be corrosion resistant + super heavy duty material, can be bolted together if use the right kind. Once set up, not going to go anywhere, unless you disassemble it.

On the side, they also use this material to hang hot water tanks off the ceiling, in some offices. the hot water tanks that I saw was massive (I'm guessing no more than 100 gallon tanks) as well the strut was hung with metal anchors to the concrete ceiling

Price at greaybar is:

$2.00-$2.50 a foot

Ps: ill post a pic as soon as I get home

Yes that's it, . welders don't like to weld it because it's galvanized, but B-Line makes accessories so you can also bolt it together. Can be picked up at an electrical wholesaler. I would think someone on here has some scrap strut laying around to help you out.

I weld the stuff all the time.it is not that bad