Aquarium Stands

Koot

Hey all,

I'm in the process of starting to upgrade my set up and I'd like to upgrade my stand. The prices for aquarium furniture in all of the LFS here in Calgary are all a bit too much for me, considering they are MDF or steel frame. My question is if anyone has found some IKEA furniture, or second-hand cabinets, etc....that could be braced and reinforced to act as an aquarium stand.

The biggest tank I'll probably go to right now would be a 33 gallon. So the stand would need to hold at least 450lbs, I'd imagine.

Or are aquarium stands like one you'd find at bigals or piscies worth the money?

For small tanks like that, any POS desk/cabinet/table should do; and, if you're a little worried, throw a couple 2x4 braces under it.

I always found making a stand much easier than trying to reinforce a desk or cabinet.A few 2x4s some 3/4" plywood and some cabinet doors from home depot.I found lots of plans and ideas on this site and others.

Here's what I ended up with. I may add a support in the middle to reduce some bowing that may occur over the next couple of years...but it's really sturdy and the biggest advantage is that I can lock up the cabinet to keep the little ones out. Oh, and this cost me $19 on kijiji.

I have a new Finnex LED coming soon, too...the stock T8 is in there after my POS Coralife overheated.

Thanks for the advice!

20130520_185138.jpg

Edited by Koot