Unexpected Water Change

flyfisher

What a Monday arrived home from work to the sound of a water fall,checked the 75 gallon to see water level was down approx. 4" and a nice big wet spot on the carpet.While looking around I could see clocks were all flashing so I must have had a power interruption.With some checking I discovered the Fluval 405 leaks when power is turned off and aqua-stop valve is open has anybody else experienced this or is this something new,I've had minor leaks after maintenance but never like this.

Any remedies I don't have power failures very often but I can't have this happen every time.

One option is to drill a small hole near the surface of the water in the intake hose. That way, if the water level starts to drop, the filter will start to suck air (and SHOULD) stop pulling in water. Might burn out a motor, but saves dumping water on the floor and potentially draining a tank. Then, once that 'failsafe' is in place, put the 405 in a bucket to catch any water that does get pulled before it gasps for air. That being said, if you don't have another filter on the tank (sponge, HOB etc) then your tank is potentially running unfiltered for however long in between.

It shouldn't leak at all. I unplug my filters for maintenance on the tank all the time and leave the valve open. Sounds like it might need replacing. If it leaks when the water isn't running I would hate to find out that it leaks when the water IS running.

One option is to drill a small hole near the surface of the water in the intake hose. That way, if the water level starts to drop, the filter will start to suck air (and SHOULD) stop pulling in water. Might burn out a motor, but saves dumping water on the floor and potentially draining a tank. Then, once that 'failsafe' is in place, put the 405 in a bucket to catch any water that does get pulled before it gasps for air. That being said, if you don't have another filter on the tank (sponge, HOB etc) then your tank is potentially running unfiltered for however long in between.

Thanks for the idea I would sooner burn out a motor than dump 15 gallons or more on the carpet again.I do run two 405's on my 75g but only one the newest is acting up, might be time to look at some new ( different ) canisters .

It shouldn't leak at all. I unplug my filters for maintenance on the tank all the time and leave the valve open. Sounds like it might need replacing. If it leaks when the water isn't running I would hate to find out that it leaks when the water IS running.

That is why its so strange it doesn't leak when running only when power is off and valve open other 405 is fine might be time for a replacement.

I have 2 fluval 205s. The one is fine, the one I have on my large tank leaks on start up after being unplugged. It only leaks a bit, nothing that two napkins can't clean up, but still. If I leave it running during water changes (the intake is low anyways) then it doesn't leak at all. On a side note, I've had no issues with my other fluval, either of my eheim classics, or my sponges. I've come home a few times after a powerblib, and my c3's are running dry though :(

I have 3x 404/405 (2 bought used) and 2x 205s for about 7/8 yrs and I have found that the fluval canisters have a couple of flaws one of which is on the aquastop levers. they tend to leak after some time from the area around the sides/ends where its circular. It can vary from a drip or 2 to a steady trickle. When this leaks it goes down and into the motor housing and eventually comes out by the area around the lock levers on the side of the canister. If only you could open it up and put some silicon grease down on the seals inside the aquastop I am sure it wouldnt be a problem. I have also had issues after putting the motor housing onto the bottom of the canister and having leaking coming from there. Usually end up wiping down the rubber o ring and the upper edge of the canister bottom that it seals against making sure that both are clean and dry and then reapplying the silicon grease. This "usually" fixes the leak.

Other flaws are regarding the tabs on the impellor cover. They crack/break too easily DURING operation for whatever reason (moreso on the 400 series). Sometimes the broken tab results in noisy impellor or a noticeable drop in flow rate happens because its not holding the impellor shaft as strongly or its allowing the water to bypass back into the filter. I have had to replace these covers too many times a year and keep a couple on hand in case but at about 12 bucks a pop its getting expensive. I have really liked these filters but due to the flaws have started to upgrade some of them to Eheims and keeping the Fluvals as backups.

I have 3x 404/405 (2 bought used) and 2x 205s for about 7/8 yrs and I have found that the fluval canisters have a couple of flaws one of which is on the aquastop levers. they tend to leak after some time from the area around the sides/ends where its circular. It can vary from a drip or 2 to a steady trickle. When this leaks it goes down and into the motor housing and eventually comes out by the area around the lock levers on the side of the canister. If only you could open it up and put some silicon grease down on the seals inside the aquastop I am sure it wouldnt be a problem. I have also had issues after putting the motor housing onto the bottom of the canister and having leaking coming from there. Usually end up wiping down the rubber o ring and the upper edge of the canister bottom that it seals against making sure that both are clean and dry and then reapplying the silicon grease. This "usually" fixes the leak.

Other flaws are regarding the tabs on the impellor cover. They crack/break too easily DURING operation for whatever reason (moreso on the 400 series). Sometimes the broken tab results in noisy impellor or a noticeable drop in flow rate happens because its not holding the impellor shaft as strongly or its allowing the water to bypass back into the filter. I have had to replace these covers too many times a year and keep a couple on hand in case but at about 12 bucks a pop its getting expensive. I have really liked these filters but due to the flaws have started to upgrade some of them to Eheims and keeping the Fluvals as backups.

I know the feeling I also have several fluvals and like them but the flaws are starting to wear on me.Another I have noticed on one of my 405's is the canister is warped causing a weak seal between the motor and canister bucket,I did fix it with a couple of wraps of teflon tape in the grove that holds the main o-ring seal this stopped the leak when motor is running but turn off the power with the valve open and watch out.

I too will be upgrading looks like the Eheim 2073 can be had for about the same $ as the new 406's so might have to give them a try.But I will also be modifying my stand so I can set the canisters in a shallow tray with a drain hose running through the floor to a basement drain,and I will be drilling some holes in the intake tubes as well.