Help Me Be A Better Baby Daddy!

creekbottom

I have killifish fry!!! Aphyosemion australe, only about 7 and man are they small! Apparently I need to learn how to hatch them better. They are about a week old now.

I have them in a tupperware container with a large quantity of moss. I also have a microworm culture going. I change about 50% water everyday.

I'm getting a film on the water surface, probably from the culture. What can/should I do about this?

Should I be floating them in another tank? I don't want to dump them in a tank yet cause they'll get eaten by a filter.

I also have NLS small fry starter, should I use this as well or just stick with the microworms for now?

I don't actually know if they are eating the worms, I'm assuming since they are still alive but I don't know how much infusoria was in that moss either.

I'll keep posting my questions here... and you keep answering them. DEAL!!!

The film on top, I use a small pipette to siphon off and to remove waste/excess food in my breeder boxes. Works like a charm. Microworms are my fave food for fry, I have used powder but is way messier and and almost glue like when you go to remove it (film like ewww). For hatching methods, I've heard floating it in the tank is one method used. I use a hang on breeder box flipped so it is in the tank (marina) and add a small airstone to tumble the eggs or add oxygen to the fry. I do this for my cories even the dwarf ones and seems to work well for me.

I've got them moved into a bigger box and have added an airstone, not sure about them but I'm happier! They are swimming more in this dish.

I've got the microworm feeding down now I think, but I still don't know if the fish are actually eating. I never see them do anything when I drop worms in. They must be eating cause they are still alive, but... I don't know. Growth looks slow, they are still two black eyes with a tail!

Edited by creekbottom

Sounds like your doing great keep us updated. Another trick I learned with Cory's is adding a floating plant like elodea once they get bigger seems to make them happy so they don't try and jam themselves into the corners. This could just be my imagination but can't hurt.

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

• 1 month later...

Ok, problems... Some are big and some haven't grown. The tiny ones are now considered food! HELP!!!!! I've still got a microworm culture going but that musn't be enough anymore. They aren't trained for NLS fry food. Can I feed frozen mysis shrimp? I know BBS are the next best thing but I have no idea how to hatch them, can you buy them frozen too?

I saw the biggest one chow down on one of the little ones tonight, not cool.

Time to separate the babies, should be able to buy frozen bbs. Keep feeding the small guys microworms and the bigger ones the bbs or chop up some of the mysis. I have done it, time consuming until I started using my magic bullet.

You can crush NLS Grow using a pepper mill or pestle and mortar. Or get some Golden Pearls or Sera micron... or some other tiny prepared food. Frozen BBS is available at just about any LFS that carries frozed food.

I haven't hatched out australes in a while, but if I remember correctly they take newly hatches brine shrimp immediately?

If you don't want to hatch out brine shrimp i would suggest these

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c2/Decapsulated-Non-HatchingBrine-Shrimp-Eggs-c21.html

I use these for all my fry right now because I am too busy (ok, lazy) to raise brine shrimp. brine shrimp are still the best, but I would call these a close second.

also, on your questions of containers. I find it easier to have a couple containers ready for the fry, feed them, then an hour or so later move the fry to the other container. Clean that one out, set it up with clean water and repeat the next day or two. It's often easier to move a small group of fry then to try to keep the small containers clean that you are feeding them in. Turkey baster is your best friend whatever route you take though.

good luck!

Dan