150 Gallon Build

strauss

So the title is a little misleading. The tank is actually 270 gallons but the top 12 or so inches are for grow out.

I just sold my 89 reef as I feel I dominated it and hard crazy growth out of even the hardest SPS so it's back to freshwater like never

before. I may verywell have a mild case of ADD but the wife is ok with it. Anyway back to freshwater with a vengence.

As of thus far, the tank is being built by concept aquatics. 72 long, 24 wide, 36 tall. Dual overflows, beane animal style.

2 returns drilled in the bottom of the tank so I can create a slow moving river current that will most likely alternate.

I ordered 2 Kessil a150w's as I will be utilizing my Mitra lx6100 from the reef tank I just sold. I feel good using it as I can customize it to

anything and everything. It is extreme overkill but can be dialed down via computer. I will be using my reef controller for everything and

have ordered the up atomizer to plumb in the return plus Co2 canister/regulator. I grabbed a ton of ADA amazonia and the smaller grained amazonia sand. I am

thinking of using playsand(whitish) to contrast the ADA but in a controlled bed in the front. I also ordered 3 boxes of manzanita out of cali.

I plan on making the tank one big mangrove bed out of the manzanita wood. Just inverting the wood and either glue or screw together and hide all holes.

It will be heavily planted as well as the top portion will be stocked in bromeliads and orchids as well as ferns. Lots of colour, but the main event is the water.

I will post pictures as piecies start arriving and I get at the tank, I promise.

I want schools and I love plecos so thinking rummynose, 7-10 kinds of pleco, maybe cardinals or harlequin rasb. A school of sterbei's. I am not sold on discus but like the idea.

If you have any suggestions/ recommendations, please voice them. I am currently looking for sand to use that is not a million dollars a bag and brownish-white. More

white than home depot play sand. Tank is done late next week so the fun will start then. Ill keep you posted.

Brandon

Check out sandblasting stores for a great assortment of sand. The sales staff shold be able to tell you it's reactivity - you want something that is completely inert so it doesn't affect your pH.

Awesome, thanks guys. I stopped at Western pumps yesterday to get plumbing and Jennifer pulled me aside and said if I wanted she could order what ever I wanted from lifeguard aquatics. So the quiet one 6000 will end up costing about 110 versus over $200. Plus many hard to find items. Now just waiting on everything to arrive.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long intermission but here is a photo update:

Painting back black

IMG_1110_zps03407b21.jpg

IMG_1111_zpsa0058cdb.jpg

stand and hood skirted and built

IMG_1120_zps46e589ab.jpg

Daughter in for comparison and time out, just kidding

IMG_1118_zps36262b1f.jpg

Main electrical components on board with magnets

IMG_1138_zps2f30dbfb.jpg

Putting wood in

IMG_1127_zps9f7fa56a.jpg

IMG_1128_zps618f2e22.jpg

IMG_1130_zps88f2841a.jpg

Glass barrier siliconed along tank bottom as sand/ada barrier. Some will mix but I will be planting glosso which should fill in and cover

IMG_1137_zps34aab610.jpg

Lights on but not calibrated

IMG_1143_zps8983b3cd.jpg

IMG_1142_zps3b983144.jpg

IMG_1141_zps7428afa7.jpg

Adding water, will be doing water changes throughout the week as RO/DI kicks in

IMG_1145_zps609f5e4c.jpg

IMG_1147_zps8e5e099d.jpg

Tank and plumbing

IMG_1134_zps1358e5a6.jpg

IMG_1133_zpsae94941c.jpg

IMG_1132_zps04bc3fcb.jpg

Will have more soon

Brandon

Also, the brown on top of the wood is a landscaping foam coated in silicone and peat moss as I will have some dart frogs in the top section with bromeliads and orchids. I ordered a bunch of plants from aquaticmagic on ebay and still looking in calgary for lots. More pic's when I get that done