Moving 55 Gallon Aquarium

maniac

HI All,

I'm moving to a new place and have to move a 55 gallon tank that has 3 angels, a SAE, rainbow shark and some other assorted fish.

If I move the aquarium and set it up the same day am I risking an ammonia spike? I was hoping to get my LFS to assist in bagging my fish but they are on vacation next week.

Thoughts?

I moved all my tanks and fish doing the method above using totes for my bigger fish. To save my vehicle I put a garbage bag around them. Worked amazing, i did lose a few platies but considering how much I moved, I deemed it an acceptable loss. Plus the ones I did lose were older fish, so might not have been just from the move.

I just moved my 75, 55, 29 and 10 last month. I did the same things with all of them. My suggestions are:

1. Start doing large volume water changes before the move (get them used to pristine, new water)

2. Purchase 2 (minimum) Rubbermaid containers and a dustpan. ( I bought 68L containers, but didn't put much water in them)

3. Day of move, siphon some water out of the tank into container 1 (fair amount) siphon a small amount (couple inches) into the other container.

4. Net fish and put into container 1, put the lid on, and place them to the side. (Do not add décor, it can shift during the move)

5. Drain all the water from the tank down the drain, lawn, laundry tub...wherever while doing a thorough gravel vac.

6. Use dustpan to scoop gravel into container 2 ( you'll want it to remain submerged in water)

7. Depending on type of filter

7a. Sponge - put into container 2.

7b. HOB - take out sponge and media and submerse in container 2.

7c. Canister - just keep the valves closed with the water in.

8. MOVE

9. Fill tank a few inches, treat with prime. Scoop gravel back into bottom, gently.

10. Fill remainder of tank, (try and match temp to container 1) treating with prime as you go.

11. Turn on filters, heaters, etc.

12. Net and add fish, keep the lights off for awhile.

I didn't have a single loss during, or after the move, in any tanks.

Hope this helps.

Edited by flash_oesc

Thanks all for the advice!

Regarding using prime. Is there any special way to use it or just follow the directions on the bottle.

Do you use any of the existing water or simply fill the aquarium with new?

No sense keeping old tank water - your beneficial bacteria live on your gravel and filter media. Just think of it as doing a nice large WC. :)

Using prime is pretty easy. The directions on the bottle do the trick, 1 capful treats 50 gallons. That being said, I usually overdose the prime a bit. I treat my 55 with 7.5ml, or a cap and a half. That part is up to you. The extra prime won't hurt anything, just uses it up faster.

I don't use any of the existing water - that's why I do large water changes leading up to the move so the nitrate, ph etc...are closer to that in new water. Like jvision says, no beneficial bacteria in the water - don't break your back for no reason! Haha