I Had To Rescue These Guys

Traffic66

Went to pick up an aquarium and saw these guys, so rescued them as well. Any tips or tricks to get these guys to health would be appreciated. If they can be cured that would be great.

First......the tank. *** Warning!! Graphic Material ahead *** ;)

20130730_203914_edit_zps3d5bdac1.jpg

This contained a bunch of guppies and a loach. (no pics of loach he was camera shy) and sorry about the not so good pics. These guys seem to have fin rot, and hopefully that's all. They are now in a quarantine tank and on a melafix regime. Fed them once they got acclimatized to the water and man were they hungry.

20130730_204015_edit_zps3e03040e.jpg

20130730_204011_edit_zpsdf794df8.jpg

And last but not least --- the Green Terror Cichlid and his terror of a tank. He has also been transferred to a quarantine tank with a Melafix regime.

20130730_203930_edit_zps7335fc51.jpg

20130730_204019_edit_zps26178b4e.jpg

20130730_204027_edit_zpsf3e850d8.jpg

Edited by Traffic66

I agree, hence why they are now at my home :)

The guppies are acting all normal and swimming properly, schooling properly etc.

It's the Cichlid that worries me. He just keeps swimming back and forth on the bottom of the tank (literally rubbing his belly on the bottom) and smashing into the sides. Flipping around and doing it again. I hope to see him alive in the morning.

The guppies I would treat as you are doing, if some don't make it they will be replaced soon by newborn ones. \The cichlid may be freaking out because Melafix irritates the skin, causing an immune response. This causes the fishes immune system to kick in and repair the problems. I would hit him with an antibiotic that works on gram negative bacteria. Or go the plenty of water changes way....good luck.

PS, You shoulda taken a round out of the owner for torturing small creatures because either he's stupid or lazy.

good save, when they are healthy maybe you would be interested in trading/ swap a few guppies for a different line. A tip for the tanks, I have used toilet bowl cleaner for the calcium build up. Must rinse numberous times, but saves on elbow grease.

good save, when they are healthy maybe you would be interested in trading/ swap a few guppies for a different line. A tip for the tanks, I have used toilet bowl cleaner for the calcium build up. Must rinse numberous times, but saves on elbow grease.

never thought of toilet bowl cleaner. might have to try that. I think I would rather have to rinse multiple multiple times than scrub all that down for hours on end.

• 2 weeks later...

So an update:

Guppies are doing absolutely wonderful So much so that I have seen new fry in my tank. Eating and swimming fine.

The Cichlid....he started doing wonderfully. Swimming proper, eating and acting normal. Until the morning I woke up and found him on the floor about a foot away from the tank. Didn't know they were jumpers, but he did break the water a couple times before that.