Help With Improving My Sump Set Up

lemonaidjay

Need some advice for my sump set up I know there is room for improvment so any help would be great. The sump came with my tank it is a 60 gallon sump that i run on my 230 gallon tank . This is not my only filter for this tank I have an FX5 on the tank as well. mostly I am wanting to know about media placement. I have included a picture of how the sump is set up . I am wondering if I should add plants or sand to the center ? Please take a look and let me know what you think.

PS the two center slide in partitions have no partitions in them.

post-6290-0-17849600-1375589042_thumb.jpg

Edited by lemonaidjay

I don't know if you have a planted tank, if not I would get some plants in there, also a light to support the plant. Something like a naja grass is a good nitrate eater that does not need soil to root. Also I recommend moving the heater to the same chamber as the return pump.

If you have a filter sock, you'll probably be changing it quite often (weekly at least), so I don't think you'll need the sponge at the partitions. If the sock is collecting all particals, then you don't have to worry about the sponges gettin clogged and reducing flow (causing possible flooding), and they will only add (quite significantly) to the biological filtration.

If you decide to go with Cullymoto's idea, a lot of people like to put the sump on a reverse photoperiod of the display tank. That has the added benefit of adding O2 during the night (kind of nice if you have plants in the main tank that will add to te O2 requirement at night), spreads the electrical draw of the tank over a longer period, and helps reduce the need for the heater at night as the ballasts will maintain some heat for the tank (if the sump is under the display).

Overall, I like the design. If budget isn't much of a concern, keep it as is. If you'd like to reduce the cost a bit, either lose the sock or the sponges. Also, if you really want to save money on your biomedia, find some used (I have tonnes of K1 and lava rock to sell) or buy scrubbies from the dollar store (6-8 for $1).

• 2 weeks later...

...Also I recommend moving the heater to the same chamber as the return pump.

Actually, in my sump, I find the pump side is the chamber that the water level moves up and down the most due to evaporation. I have my heaters in the chamber where the water enters as it is always at a safe level and I never have to worry about the level dropping and burning our a heater. Just my thoughts.