Bolivian Ram Laid Eggs, Some Help Please

Okotoks

This morning I discovered a pair of my rams had mated and laid eggs on a flat rock on the bottom of my aquarium. The tank is a heavily planted 77 gallon setup with 5 rams, countless otocinclus, cherry shrimp and 4 BN pleco females. So far the pair have kept anything that wanders to close away from the eggs. Should I be worried about the plecos?

I'm running an aquaclear 110, will this pose a threat to newly hatched babies or do they stay near the parents on the bottom?

Your set up sounds like it should be fine. If the parents manage to get the fry to free swimming (rams are notorious for needing a couple tries to get the parenting down, unless they're WildCaught), the fry typically stay near the bottom; however, if you're concerned with your AC sucking up the fry, you can add a sponge over the intake. I just take one of the sponges meant for the AC and cut a hole in the end and slide it over.

a small light to just illuminate the brood so the parents can better defend them against any nocturnal marauders.

the fry tend to stay low, but I'd cover the aquaclear intake with a sponge just in case.

I'd worry more about the other rams. from my experience the pair are (as cichlids go) fairly laidback with non-conspecifics but become very vicious towards other rams.

• 8 months later...