Fluval Fx5 Question? 120G Schooling Tank

KimW

So I currently am in the process of Re-Homing My African Cichlids, as I have chosen to turn my 120G Freshwater into a community schooling tank!

I am running a Fluval FX5 Canister and am a little worried that once all the cichlids are out and the smaller fish go in (after a good tank clean and Re-Cycle)

that the poor things will get sucked into this filter.

I do not have another filter for this tank ( So this is my only option) , and I am wondering if someone knows of what I can do to help stop the little fish ( Rummynoses, Small Zebras, Neons etc) from getting sucked into the filter and killed?

I am concerned if I use a sponge on the intake that it will restrict the turn-over rate somewhat or that because of the mass amount of suction pieces of the filter may wind up clogging something it shouldn't?

I am also concerned if I use some other type of intake build that again it may restrict the water flow and ultimately damage the filter.

If someone has some DIY options for me ( As I am really restricted on budget ) that would be wonderful.

You can just throttle down the OUTPUT of the filter to reduce flow; however, the design of the FX5 is supposed to mitigate against entrapment.

For DIY on a turtle tank, I just set up w. an FX5, I used 1" PVC lines with a 2" intake with slots cut about 1/2 way thru every 1/2" or so on both sides, with a cap on the end. I actually used a T and have 2 2" intakes b/c the turtle clogged the first one when she was tasting all the Java fern (after ripping it all up, she decided it wasn't that tasty). Having 2 intakes has made it virtually impossible to clog or have too much suction at any one point.

Thats a Fantastic Idea! Do you use a particular type of PVC or just any one available at say RONA? Also when doing your "T" do you glue this together? or is it all a snug enough fit that I wouldn't have to worry about that? I am fairly in-experienced with all this so forgive me if it's a silly question.

I have a 120 gal with an fx5 in it and also i have rummy nose and a few other small fish in it. the intake of the fx5 has never sucdked up any of my fishies. I did have some deaths and even then they just got stuck to the intake siphon.

Thats a Fantastic Idea! Do you use a particular type of PVC or just any one available at say RONA? Also when doing your "T" do you glue this together? or is it all a snug enough fit that I wouldn't have to worry about that? I am fairly in-experienced with all this so forgive me if it's a silly question.

I glue everything outside the tank (just thread tape or compound for PVC-barbed fitting for flexible pipe connection to FX5), and everything inside the tank is tight enough not to need gluing.

I glue everything outside the tank (just thread tape or compound for PVC-barbed fitting for flexible pipe connection to FX5), and everything inside the tank is tight enough not to need gluing.

Thank you so much for the information! Very appreciated! Now to send hubby to Rona to get what I need LOL!

• 4 weeks later...