Pterophyllum Leopoldi

Fisch

Hi

Does anyone have experience with Pterophyllum leopoldi? I am planning on setting up a South American biotope for these wild angels and am hoping for recommendations.

Thanks

Megan

I've had lots of them until recently. They're my second favourite after the Altums which I have now. They are quite lively and inquisitive fish. I love the yellow and greenish hue to their bodies. They don't mind other fish and enjoy lots of plants, they will eat duckweed so that's a good thing to have a little vegetable matter in their diet. When they're done eating sometimes they can be seen gulping air at the top of the tank, I think it's something to do with digestion and evolution, it's a common behaviour so don't let anyone tell you they're sick or anything. They grow fast and live for years, I've had them pair up but never noticed a spawn.

Enjoy

Thanks for the great information. Sounds like they are beautiful in looks and behaviour.

What types of other fish did you keep with them? I was considering cardinals or rummy nose tetras.

Would a 75 or 90 gallon tall be large enough to support 6?

I apologize for all the questions, but would like to set up the best possible environment.

I would always go with the largest tank possible for your space and budget - that beig said, a 75 or 90 should be fine for 6 adults. If your decor breaks up lines of site well (large driftwood and sword plants), you should even be OK when they pair off and start breeding. If you end up with 2 pairs, however, you may need to rehome the odd fish out.

For dithers, I'd choose Rummynose over cardinals. Even a huge school (50+) isn't enough to deter wild angels from eating cardinals (this is not speculation on my part! :( ). Rummynose have almost double the adult body size and aren't as tempting of morsels. :) If you want some action for the bottom of the tank, a good sized school of warm-water Cory's would be great.

Thanks so much for the helpful suggestions.

I had rummynose when I had discus and they were a beautiful addition, and their colours seemed to brighten when the water quality was excellent. Is there a particular species of cory that would be successful?

I was considering CaribSea torpedo beach substrate and was wondering if THis would support the swords, in addition to root tabs?