Pleco Only Tank?

sick fish

Just acquired a 33 gallon wide and low tank with 3 pleco in it. 2 albino bristle nose and 1 snowball pleco.

I have 2 large aqua clear filters going on it 1 large heater and tons of wood and caved rocks for them to dwell .

No gravel.I'm wondering how many plecos max can I put in this tank and how soon.

I'm also looking for some Gold Nuggets or The green spotted plecos .Not sure on names. Maybe even some insane and super hard to find "ZEBRA" plecos. Should I consider putting a few normal Africans in there also to help with the bio ?

I know these are a lot of questions but all the help from you experts is greatly appreciated in advance.

Paging Fairdeal for your advise. Maybe ill just give you a call but see what comes up here first.

Thanks.

Edited by sick fish

I'd stick with smaller plecos, if the zebras in your budget it's perfect. Africans can get along with plecos but it's far from ideal. If it's plecos only, than sometimes I use a school of small fish in there to clean up a lil and to make them feel more at ease. I have 13 plecos in a 110. Heavily filtered. Most small but a few bigger ones.

I had a group of 5 Hypancistrus sp in a 33gal. They're all around the 3-4" mark. I moved them into a 40 breeder and added 3 red shoulder angels. Seems to be working well. I have an air-powered HMF filter with a mid-range HOB

I agree with both previous answers, but if you throw in a L177 or L81 you are going to need a way bigger tank. Plecos can be very territorial, and some don't deal well with competition of any sort. If you stick with hypancistrus sp or Peckoltia sp. you will be fine with 4-8 (depending on type etc)

What is this L177 and L81 you speak of ? I want to get some really cool looking plecos. All small and then grow them out. Its a 33 gallon breeder from faideal im running. Idealy id like to find 2 gold nuggets, 4 zebras pleco maybe 2 green leopard looking ones. Not sure on specific names but i know what they look like . Its been a few years since ive been on here and had fish i have a few abandod tanks ( 130 tall,120 drilled and ready.33 gal and a few smaller breeder tanks) but only have time for this one now as is. Dont really want to get any normal black or brown plecos. What kind of small school of fish are we talking ? Ive only ever had africans.

Thanks again.

L18, L81, L85 and L177 are all gold nugget plecos. L numbers are given because they haven't been asigned a name by science.The golden nugget will be 7+ inches and are poop machines. They can be aggressive towards other bottom dwellers at times.

I would stick with smaller plecos like the Hypansistrus or Peckoltia species. The zebra pleco you like is a a L046 Hypansistrus Zebra. There are many attractive small plecos in these 2 species. Check out planetcatfish.com

l

L18, L81, L85 and L177 are all gold nugget plecos. L numbers are given because they haven't been asigned a name by science.The golden nugget will be 7+ inches and are poop machines. They can be aggressive towards other bottom dwellers at times.

I would stick with smaller plecos like the Hypansistrus or Peckoltia species. The zebra pleco you like is a a L046 Hypansistrus Zebra. There are many attractive small plecos in these 2 species. Check out planetcatfish.com

Thanks for the info. Gold nuggets are my favourite from back in the day i had 5 at one time. Ive always wanted zebras but im not game for 200 per fish. I will check with fairdeal on his stock. Who here in edmonton has these two species and will there be any interesting plecos at the auction. I havnt been in 3/4 yrs. As for smaller schools i was thinking maybe black calvus or some compressiceps ? Not sure. Id prefer 4 gold nuggets and a small school or maybe 4 zebras and a small school. Who has what these days ?

Help and info is greatly appreciated again. Thanks.

Edited by sick fish

I love the L134 (Leopard Frog) peckoltia Compta. They look really neat, and members post a few for sale at regular intervals. I found this type by going to planetcatfish and browsing pictures, and then reading about them. I've picked out L046, L052, L134 from that site, and have them in my tanks. I got all three from Fairdeal and Jorg.

There's usually plecos at the auction. Especially if Harold's coming up. Not sure on tht though. I'd forget the 33 if you are gonna get gold nuggets. Water volume helps with plecos. As they foul water pretty quickly. Especially if fed fresh veggies and starches

No Fairdeal is not able to make this one. His next edmonton trip could be November. I will wait if i have to.