Hey guys!

In my 10 gallon tank

-7 pygmy corys

-8 Red Rili shrimps

-medium planted

-play sand substrate

-couple of Indian almond leaves

-2 pads of m.pelia

Lately i've seen some shrimp turning milky colour and dying one by one. So I looked it up and it seems like a bacterial infection.

How do I know if its bacterial infection, and How do I treat it?

Thanks!

I meant the empty shell looks sort of milky when mine molt... So I was making sure it wasn't just exoskeleton you were seeing. As for temp, I'm told if it's too high (over 80) they 'cook' and become cloudy. Again though, I'm not the pro...just started in the shrimp world. I've been on google a lot...haha

It is very likely bacterial infection. Most of the time if they are infected they are pretty much gonners but babies and juvies don't seem to get it.

Best would be to Qt the guys that are already milky and quickly remove dead bodies. Drop your temps down to 21C, even 20C, over a a couple days. Lower temps are less condusive to bacterial growth. Also, if you can drop your pH to 6 or 6.5 by either adding more IAL or more CO2. Either way, do the change gradually so that your livestock can adjust slowly.

Also there are reports H2O2 treatment being successful in treating bacterial infection, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Edited by cainechow

It is very likely bacterial infection. Most of the time if they are infected they are pretty much gonners but babies and juvies don't seem to get it.

Best would be to Qt the guys that are already milky and quickly remove dead bodies. Drop your temps down to 21C, even 20C, over a a couple days. Lower temps are less condusive to bacterial growth. Also, if you can drop your pH to 6 or 6.5 by either adding more IAL or more CO2. Either way, do the change gradually so that your livestock can adjust slowly.

Also there are reports H2O2 treatment being successful in treating bacterial infection, but I'm not entirely convinced.

How do these bacteria spread? Are all of my shrimps in the tank in danger of getting exposed by the bacteria?

From the reading that I've done, it can be spread via water column, poo, moults and cannibalisation of infected shrimp.

Cleaning up and water changes are good ideas. It makes sense that the Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) treatment helps because it would help kill bacteria in the water, poo and anything else it contacts.

From my experience once the body turns cloudy it is in the late stages of the infection and there isn't much you can do for the shrimp other than remove from the tank to prevent it spreading to the other shrimps.

If there parts of the limbs and / or antennas looks like they are missing or "dissolved" it is a pretty good sign that your shrimp is infected.

I have used both Paraguard and Hydrogen Peroxide (3% @ 1ml / gal) - Neither were that effective in curing infected shrimp but both seems to stop it from spreading.

For Paraguard, one hobbyists recommend large water changes (75%) between treatments, and like Ron said 1/2 the dosage

Treating with Hydrogen Peroxide is less extreme but you will need to do to daily for around 2 week.

I usually experience bacteria blooms during the summmer when temperatures goes up. So if you tank has experience any temperature swings recently that might have triggered it.