6 Foot Light For A Planted Tank

Jayba

I have been shopping for a LED fixture that grows plants really well for a while. Last night I ordered a 6 foot LED light for my 125 gallon tank that I am going to be planting in the near future. I am super stoked! Anyone who has a 6 foot long tank can appreciate a LED fixture that grows plants can be a ridiculous amount of money. I found these guys through theplantedtank.com.

Not only can you fully customize the fixture for led color, lense angle etc. Their customer service is awesome, I called because I had a few questions about lens angle, and the guy I spoke to was amazing!

It has a dimmer switch that can turn the lights up or down, to change brightness for your needs($15.00). The accessories are cheap! LED light color choices are 3200k, 5000k, 6000k, 6300k, 7000k,1000k, 13000 kelvin, or a mixture of your choice! Whatever spectrum you prefer.

It can be run by a controller to simulate sunrise, full sun and sunset if you have one! Suspension kits are $25 and all the accessories are very reasonable to buy. You can get them in black or silver cases so they match your decor if you are fashion conscience.Shipping was about 60 bucks, from Texas. Not bad I guess. Sent USPS so no brokerage fees like UPS!

Merry Xmas to me! Now I have to just figure out how to tell my wife.......My "It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" slogan might get my butt sleeping on the couch in the glow of the new light. HAHA

http://www.buildmyled.com/aquarium/

Your thread got me searching and I found these:

http://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28221&products_id=1586

They don't come in 72" but the LEDs can be somewhat customized depending on what you would like.

Pretty cheap too.

I am pretty sure that those ones don't offer the light spectrum that will grow plants. I have Beamswork LED's as well as Current brand LED lights over my fry tanks, and keeping even java moss alive is impossible, my Finnex is a tad better, but it's still tough. LED's for specific planted tanks offer different light spectrum, and ZooMed does offer special plant modules that contain 1 6000K LED and 2 two blue 465nm LEDS.

The fixture I ordered has 25 different color LED's to cover the entire spectrum of light. So there is quite a bit to it.

Thus the price difference for example for Marineland regular and Marineland planted.

http://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28221&products_id=1586

They don't come in 72" but the LEDs can be somewhat customized depending on what you would like.

Pretty cheap too.

I am pretty sure that those ones don't offer the light spectrum that will grow plants. I have Beamswork LED's as well as Current brand LED lights over my fry tanks, and keeping even java moss alive is impossible, my Finnex is a tad better, but it's still tough. LED's for specific planted tanks offer different light spectrum, and ZooMed does offer special plant modules that contain 1 6000K LED and 2 two blue 465nm LEDS.

The fixture I ordered has 25 different color LED's to cover the entire spectrum of light. So there is quite a bit to it.

Thus the price difference for example for Marineland regular and Marineland planted.

You can replace the original modules that contain 4 white and 2 blue LEDs with 4 white and 2 red LEDs (620 - 630 nm). I think this maybe the new thing, LEDS that can be replaced when burnt out.

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=1556&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=3&SearchContext=YTo2OntzOjg6IlNlYXJjaElEIjtzOjE6IjMiO3M6MTA6IkRhdGFiYXNlSUQiO3M6MToiMiI7czo4OiJLZXl3b3JkcyI7czo4OiJMaWdodGluZyI7czo3OiJIZWFkaW5nIjtzOjg6IkFxdWFyaXVtIjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF94IjtzOjI6IjI0IjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF95IjtzOjI6IjIwIjt9

Edited by Ron

Pretty cheap too.

From what I have found that light contains 24 1w leds which isn't really powerful enough to grow plants in a 4' tank.

with the dimmer, and the control cable for the controller, the suspension hardware, and the shipping it came to about 480. I am gonna use CO2 and see if it's enough light. If not I will get a second one . Time will tell.

with the dimmer, and the control cable for the controller, the suspension hardware, and the shipping it came to about 480. I am gonna use CO2 and see if it's enough light. If not I will get a second one . Time will tell.

thx for that input. Please let us know how you find growth. Possible to do before, during, after type of pics...that would be interesting to see the plant growth.

Edited by ckmullin