Discus And Leopard Ctenopoma

Lessy78

So the last time my girlfriend and I started the 90 gallon we had a alot of different fish and most were picked by me , this time the misses wants to do a discus planted tank. I am all for it but I wanna find something else that can live happily with the discus , I am a huge fan of loaches , the last tank had 7 clown loaches and 2 yoyo's , and a huge red tail shark. I had one leopard and he lived for a couple years and this time I want more. Can they live happily along with some Cory's and loaches ?

There are some geophages that can go with discus. But you have to keep the sizes fairly close, otherwise the big fish will torment the smaller till death basically. German rams (Bolivian, electric blue, etc) are micro-geophages to give you an idea of the shape etc. regular geophages can get to be 6 inch or greater.

• 1 year later...

I have 2 clown loaches with my Discus planted tanks, the loaches eat really fast and I think it thought my discuses to eat faster with them if not they will go to bed with no dinner.

They have been together for about 2 years approximately.

I think the leopard bush fish would be ok with discus. They are calm and some what slow eaters. I had six medium size leopards in the same tank with 40 corys for over a year and never had a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to discus but mine are kept with clown loaches. The discus got used to eating frozen bloodworms out of my hand and I slowly transitioned them to eat flakes and pellets the same way, the rest is history. None of my other fish will eat from my hands. I feed the other fish at the other end of the tank and then feed the discus by hand. So far so good. I haven't had them that long. Maybe a month?? They seemed pretty shy at first but now that they've settled they are more cichlid like. Some of them eat aggressively while others still pick away.