Moving Questions...

dmac

So I drained one of my tanks last night and I will be moving it today. Just wondering about the sand, it has tons of water in it still. I have it in a pail and I want to reuse it. I'm setting the tank back up on monday. With the sand sitting for that long is it going to cause problems when I set the tank back up? If so should I buy new sand? If so then what type of sand and where should I buy it?

Thanks

I assume this is a fresh water tank. If it is for a fresh water tank as long as it has not been outside in the cold temperature to kill any of the living creatures in the sand it's good to go as is. If the sand is filled with ditrus give it a good once over and then throw it back in the tank. If it has been in freezing temperatures snail, worms anything like that will have to be removed first or it can foul up the tank as the rotting material breaks down in mass.

Keep the sand covered in water and don't let it dry out.

Edited by ckmullin

What ckmullin said; also, when you set the tank back up, put the sand in and fill it VERY SLOWLY - pour the water onto a plate if you can. That will help keep any detritus or other fine particles from clouding the tank. The slower you fill, the better!