Which Live Plants Will Work Well With My Cichlids?

mrsella

I currently have a tank with cichlids, and after looking around was told not many plants will do well with the fish I have. I love the look of a natural planted tank, can u recommend any plants that will do good with cichlids? And what's the best place to buy them? I bought anubias and java fern. Anubias seems to be doing good, but java fern is getting nibbled on. Any suggestions?

Java Fern, Anubis, and Vals come to mind quickly. Although I've also had crypts and swords in my cichlid tanks too. And the best place I've found to get plants is on Kijiji or posted on here. There is always someone giving away trimmings or starter plant packs.

If you find that your cichlids dig up your plants, weight them down with rocks or wood. You can also tie them with fishing line to rocks or wood too.

I assume you are reffering to your jd cichlids in that case i will attach some links for you

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_central_america_river.htm

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/

Sword plants, Heteranthera, Ceratophyllum, Vallisneria, Cabomba, Limnobium, Myriophyllum

if you are doing a biotope for them thats different though because where they are from, the plants are probably few and far between

Edited by Realevil1

If you have large enough cichlids, nothing will work, not even Anubias. My Texas Cichlid destroys plants over night and if he doesn't get them... Someone else will. If they're larger than 8" I wouldn't even bother, but if you try it anyways and it works out please post it up here!

I assume you are reffering to your jd cichlids in that case i will attach some links for you

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_central_america_river.htm

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/

Sword plants, Heteranthera, Ceratophyllum, Vallisneria, Cabomba, Limnobium, Myriophyllum

if you are doing a biotope for them thats different though because where they are from, the plants are probably few and far between

Thanks, I will take a look though the pages u have suggested.

I like the look of the amazon sword but haven't had any luck finding it, any suggestions?

The plants are still doing ok, not dying yet. The java fern is pretty much a salad bar for the albino white. I think it all depends too on the type of cichlid, I have a few different ones in my tank, and the only one that seems to like the leaves is the albino. Ha, go figure.

Bamboo is popular for rough fish.

Can u suggest where to buy bamboo? I've never seen it at LFS

Best place to get things that are not 'fish store normal' would be garden centers or home stores. Had seen actually at Home Depot yesterday. The straight length ~ 20" for a buck.

Bamboo is popular for rough fish.

Can u suggest where to buy bamboo? I've never seen it at LFS

Best place to get things that are not 'fish store normal' would be garden centers or home stores. Had seen actually at Home Depot yesterday. The straight length ~ 20" for a buck.

So, let me clarify this. Is that The bamboo sticks that I've seen in glass containers with rocks on the bottom? Is that what you're referring to?