Diy Cave

JayWho

I made a cave that I'm hoping my pleco that I inherited will enjoy during the daytime, out of a rubbermaid shoe box that I cut some holes in, covered in silicone and coated with aquarium gravel to give it a more natural look (even though it still kinda looks like a Flintstones house).

It says that the silicone should be safe after 12 hours on the tube, but I put it on thick in a few spots, so have been giving it longer to dry. It has been 4 days, and it still has a faint smell of fresh silicone. I'm assuming I need that smell to be gone before it's safe to go in the aquarium, and I need to keep waiting? I'm not worried about it having tensile strength; I just don't want chemicals leached into the water.

Soaking it will just cause any contaminants to leech out faster? Am I understanding right?

The "globs" aren't as thick as I thought really - it's all hard. I'm just worried because it still smells of fresh silicone.

Cool. I didn't know there was an AA post about it. I did google it - I forget where I found the info I considered valid. Then I remembered that UaruJoey had a video where I knew he mentioned the kind he used - he mentions it within the first 30 seconds of his "How to build an aquarium" video and that was confirmation enough for me to head to Home Depot.

The pleco isn't as inclined to dig a little as I'd hoped. Gonna have to make the holes larger, because it thinks it's too small.

The cichlids have been having fun fighting over it though.

Ask and thou shalt receive!

Nothing crazy, like I said, just a plastic shoe box with a few holes cut in it. This is pics of it in the tank - I'm going to take it out and make the openings larger - probably open up the entire long side, as long as it doesn't affect the integrity so much it collapses with a couple rocks on it.

C62E8EA0-79AF-4324-959E-FFE3158779F3_zps
D0361266-6BA1-4AE7-AE03-D3F4E255B28C_zps5F361D0F-E626-44CD-9FDE-3FD3B3917830_zps