I'm Sure It's Been Done To Death But Lighting For A Noob!

ayanekun

First off, I'd like to say I've explored pretty thoroughly through the archives of the internet and the amount of information is staggering but help a guy out with his lighting for a first planted tank.

My biggest issue and the reason I come to you is looking for a specific light. I've got a typical 5.5 gallon tank and just can't seem to find a good light. Incandescent hoods seem to be few and far between in the 16" size and I can't seem to find fixtures in Calgary that are 16" and rated for more than 8 Watts in the Fluorescent variety. I've read nothing but good things about Finnex (except for the occasional dud it seems, but they're always replaced) however haven't found a local retailer.

I also have concerns about using something like the Fugeray or the marineland LED's because I've got a traditional black hood that doesn't have more than a 12 inch opening. I've considered replacing the starter on my 8 Watt fixture with one rated higher so I can change out the bulb but finding 8 inch higher than 8 watt bulbs is also proving difficult.

Any insider information on finding a glass hood, new fixture, higher wattage starters and bulbs or another solution to my problem that can (hopefully) be fixed by a trip somewhere local?

Thanks.

I put a 13W compact flourescent in an incandescent hood... I find it odd that you can't find an incandescent hood - usually that's ALL you can find for a 5 gal

Walmart has clip on lights for 8.99 for the colours or 12.99 for the silver.. Add in a 6700k 13 watt CFl and start growing your plants!!!