New 125 Gallon

RD.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only concern with using paper products, was the issue of getting a bit of spillage on it from time to time. I don't think that art paper would look too good with water stains all over it. :)

Felt would hold up fine to a bit of spillage.

I have to agree on the art paper.

I use "painter touch" latex paint from Home Depot, USE A ROLLER TO APPLY several thin layers. Takes about 6-8 thin coats to get the effect that I like.....

The paint comes in several colors, I prefer black backgrounds...the black come in 3 sheens, flat, semi-gloss and high gloss.

I just bought a tin of semi-gloss to see what it would look like, I have used the high gloss on another tank with great results!!!!!!

The High Gloss ends up looking just like the background that you can buy from LFS...VERY shiny!!!

Mask off the areas that you dont want to get paint on!!!!

I also like to put the regular aquarium backgrounds behind the paint to avoid getting scratches in the paint!!!!!!

Works great for me!!!!

I've used paper before on smaller tanks without issue.

I guess you have to ask yourself.....how much water do you spill on the BACK of your tanks now? For me....I never did, always on the front.

Plus, replaceable at a very cheap cost if you do....

It's not the cost issue...

It's easy to put paper and those other backgrounds on a new tank that is not filled and can be moved around...It's going to be very hard to move a 125 gallon tank filled with water to replace a wet paper background.....I like the paint as it a more permenant type background that can always be scraped if it is not wanted in the future...

Also, I use all AC 500's on my tanks and there is always a little spillage when removing the media for cleaning!!!!

Edited by rahim101

The only problem with paint is that I will most likely be setting this up when the temp outside is too cold to paint. I also want ZERO reflection out of the background, so that rules out anything that will reflect any amount of light.

When I service my AC 500's, I always splash a small amount of water behind the tank. A very small amount, but nevertheless over time this would no doubt cause some unsightly discoloration. (and perhaps mold etc on the paper?)

Felt is dirt cheap, and should do the trick, my only concern was how it would look along the outside edges on each side. Perhaps Rob can solve that issue with some wood trim on all 4 corner edges.

Edited by RD.

Darcy - Sun 'n Fun pools. It went up since the last time I bought it, $20 per 50# bag now, but it's still the closest thing to the 'real thing' that I've been able to find locally. I realize play sand is cheaper, but there's no way in hell that I'm ever going to use play sand in any of my tanks.

Thanks seajays, I know that PFS can be found cheaper, cost wasn't an issue, I wanted the Target brand PFS. I've yet to see anything that looks as natural as this brand of PFS. It's also very clean, and the grain size is perfect, and uniform throughout.

In the grand scheme of things, the substrate cost was the least of my concerns. :)