New 125 Gallon

RD.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just in the planning stages for a new 125 gallon, which will house a colony of C. moorii (thanks Punman!) and a colony of L. caeruleus.

Background will be black (not sure if I'll use felt, or a thin sheet of acrylic?) with solid black Visi-Therm Stealth heaters. Filtration will be 3 AC 500's (I already have 2 established 500's that I can use) and Connie just provided the third one. The lighting will be 2 single strip 36" all-glass lights, with power-glo lights. I may pull the lights a bit forward as well, to give a deep dark feel to the tank. No equipment will show, and the fish will have some darker areas to retreat to if they feel the need. With no serious algae eaters (no plecos!), over time it will have a more natural look to it. The rocks will be supported by a panel of light diffuser (eggcrate) and Target pool filter sand will used as the substrate. (approx 2")

Majestic Aquariums will be building a custom designed stand for this tank. B)

I just took this pic today of the 'first draft'.

new125k.jpg

It's difficult to see in my pics, but my rock pile on the right has a lot of caves running through it. Big caves, as well as some smaller caves, and all of them have an entrance, as well as an exit, so the labs should be quite content, as will the female moorii. There's also enough room behind the boulders for fish to swim the entire length of the back of the tank. The rocks look small in the pics, but a few of them are bigger than my head, and will stand approx half way up the tank (11-12") Approx 180 pounds worth altogether. IMO rocks are a waste of water space/volume, unless they serve a function, which in this case they most certainly will. I went to Burnco yesterday & hand picked each one.

The rocks are granite boulders, just like the granite boulders found in Lake Malawi. Smooth to the touch, so no worries about injuries from the rocks.

If anyone can think of something I haven't considered, please feel free to comment or critique my set up.

Thanks!

I do get to build your stand? COOL! :lol: Wasn't sure if you were still planning the go ahead on the tank yet.

Thanks for the buisness B)

Sounds like it is going to be an awesome tank for sure!

RD, should be able to buy a sheet of Luon from most large hardware stores. I'm going to get the purchaser at work order me some to be delivered to the shop, so I can't give you a name as yet.

I would have painted the back but I was in a rush to get a decent home set up for the fish, so now I have very limited access to the sides (corner tank). I figure the Luon will be stiff enough to get in place but thin enough to not be noticeable from the edge (1/8? just a guess).

I'll get you some more details soon. My Purple Tang is chasing it's reflection and the shirt I have hanging on the back is definitely not a permanent solution.

Go with the flat black spray paint.

My tank before last night:

f2038731.jpg

My tank tonight, after painting:

f2038ae6.jpg

The more drab females seem to disappear into the background, like they are retreating into the distance...very cool. Yes, rock piles are different, but still some large unseen caves at the bottom.

Kind of messy and drippy on the back, but you don't notice it from the inside....the glass side of the paint is smooth, the outside has the ripples.

I'll do a better job next time, regardless. :lol:

Tore it down, moved it out, rebuilt it again. :D

In one day?! Good for you! Looks great.

I need to make some time to do mine, but there's no way I'm tearing down a 92gal corner marine tank and setting it up again in one day. The rock alone took me days to transfer over and stack satisfactorily. It's staying in place and I'll add the background.

Well, it took a little more than just tearing the tank down.

Get home, swep floor, do the dishes, run to grocery store, make supper, get kids lunches, and THEN ask "Honey, is there anything you'd like me to do before I work on my tank?"

15 minute fast-dry paint, and a few hours to myself. :)