Gay Betta

Tanker

OK... for two weeks now I have been waiting for this betta to figure out that step one of having a good time is a bubble nest...

I have set up a 10 gallon as per all the instructions to be found on the web, and surprisingly enough, they all agree on what this tank needs. I have had him in there for the past two weeks, and have introduced her a few times, last night finally releasing her into the tank itself (she was previously in a net breeder trap to keep them seperate) and they chased eachother around, flirting and displaying...

Everything looks 'good to go' except the rather stark absense of a bubble nest... he just won't make one, no matter what I try.

Any suggestions? Besides aromatherapy and oysters? She is so ready to pop with eggs that while they were swimming around flirting and flaring she was actually dropping eggs... after an hour of this she started to eat them... I guess she figured if he's not going to do anything with them, she might as well.

I really want these two to have a little fun... my own brood of crowntails would be awesome! He'll blow a nice nest in his usual home, without an excuse, but I can't use that as a breeding tank due to it's size. (Although I may use it to get the eggs layed and then transfer them to the 10G... but the shock of the move may end up killing them all)

Ideas?

If he's not in his usual home it might take him some time to feel comfortable, especially in a much larger space.

If you have a power filter in there figure out a way to diffuse the output a lot or get rid of it. Try a sponge filter or maybe even floating a coffe can lid so he can build a nest in a sheltered location.

He was in another 10 gallon for quite some time previously... then I downsized him to his 2.5 gallon home for two weeks before moving him to the 10 gallon breeder. He's a very active and happy fish, probably the best we have as far as bettas go, and is very proud of his fins (he even sleeps 'flared'). I am not running a filter in there right now, and keeping the water clean and tidy for them with daily w/c in small amounts to not disturb the infusoria that has started.

Maybe I'm being impatient... but I'm just worried that she'll get tired of the extra payload and drop her eggs... delaying the works by a couple weeks. She's ready to go at a moment's notice and he's just not playing well with others.

Just found another betta breeder who thinks that lower light can be better, so I'll try that for a couple days and see what the results are... maybe it's performance anxiety :P

Anyone else have a suggestion?

I have read, in several magazines and books, that temperature has an effect on Bettas. If it's too low they won't build a nest. I think it has to be above 75 to get them going. Is your tank heated? and what's the temperature? :well:

use divider at first [till nest].

stay at 80 temp,firm

no filter, salt,once a week water changes only,

[with baby's NONE!only few drops through 3 monthes]

low light.they might not bread,can try other female.

pale females take more of males color.as soon as female drops all her eggs ..take her out!leave male till baby's are swimming horazontil[3 to 5 days]

LOTS of hiding places for female.

10 gallon is perfect,

NO substrate when breading.

Good suggestions, here is more info on the setup... looks like I pretty much have almost everything covered. But hey, it may be a little thing that triggers this whole chain, and I'd LOVE to find it. If I pull this breeding off, I am going to cross a lyre tail male with this crowntail female and see what comes out!!!

She is in a 3"x 6" net breeder as a divider. it sits on the bottom, and as there is only about 4 inches of water, works well.

Temp is 80-82. Heater is set for 80, but the thermometers read either 81 (digital) or 82 (mercury).

No filter, currently, sponge filter prepped in my 50 gallon and ready to go in the moment the male is pulled out.

I have Melafix on hand to keep the fungus down, but have not salted the tank (added some just now...) and with only 4 inches of water in there, I w'c only to pull up the dung (remove about 2 cups of water at a time, about 5% of the water).

The tank is bare-bottomed and only has a 6 inch terra cotta pot in it on it's side for a 'nest support'.

Other than that, there is nothing else but the net breeder, and it gets turned on it's end to let her out, and give her a place to scoot back to if he starts getting rough (I can then just tip it back and she's locked away from him until I grab the fish net and pull her out.)

I'll give it a couple more days, and see what happens... may just toss her in the 50 gallon community and let the corys and swords eat the eggs... :cuss:

• 2 weeks later...

I would have thought that maybe if your betta were gay, it would blow much more bubbles than other bettas. Check to see whether maybe he is sucking in the bubbles rather than blowing them out into his nest. If this is the case, you may actually be able to add another male betta of the same preferences down the road, may I suggest calling them Ace and Gary the ambiguously gay duo or maybe the simplified Niel and Bob. Just trying to help, either way I think it would be wrong of you as a betta parent to not just sit down with your betta and talk about it so you can understand him more....

Signed Dr. Phil

lol...

Well, I gave up for now... I am in the process of completely re-arranging my fish tanks (consolidating some into the community and moving all the bettas into the storage room for a mini-fishroom) so the next couple weeks they are on their own to do whatever. Everyone is back in their own homes, as she dropped most of her eggs while waiting for him to ready, steady, go.

I'll try again next month, once they are settled into the new room, and then I'll be much better situated, anyways, as the storage room has light, power outlets, and built-in shelves for the fry jars. A corner of my livingroom was handy... but not practical.

These are just practice fish, anyways, as they are 'common' crowntails from a fish store. When I settle into the house next summer, I'll then repeat the process with some imported fish and really get into it. No loss, as most of these fry would have ended up food for the other tanks, and my sword tails are starting to put out like... well... they are really putting out (family forum, and all ;) )

This was worth a shot. *shrugs*

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I put the two of them together for five days straight... they flirted, he finally figured out that a bubble nest was required (she actually showed him. lol ) and they finally did the deed on Friday. I took her out and he was busy tending the nest... he had built it big enough to cover 1/2 the ten gallon!!!

This afternoon I was watching him and counting the eggs, there was between 40 and 50 in there. A couple hours later I checked again and I could only see a very full betta. I pulled him out, and used a small pipette to shoot water at the remaining bubble nest (once she was pulled out, I started up the small box filter and the slight surface disruption quickly decreased the size of the nest).

I now have two eggs. He ate the rest. Damn fish is going to be fed to my figure 8's...

I'll see if these two hatch, or if they are duds... and I think I'll try to mate those two crowns again sometime... and be sure to pull him out the very instant I see they are finished their fun.

• 1 year later...

Okay I know this topic was awhile ago, but I am experiencing the same problem, with one of my males and the other an EGG EATER (Gawd)

Although I don't have them in a 10 gal, i have them in a 2.5, I don't think that was the problem. Cause in my other tank, omg the other male built his nest seconds after I put him in the tank beside the one I think has emotional problems. We will call the non bubble nest builder Jake.

Jake I think just wanted company, he didn't even try to nip at Sally (his lady) I swear I could have left them in a 10 gal for ever together he would have been a happy go lucky guy.

As for ToM the minute man bubble nester (GRRRR) he did all the right moves... they mated and mated releasing Sues eggs (Sue being his girl) she was a mess I spent all weekend with them making sure she didn't get too damaged.

Okay so, first couple Jake and Sally are totally friends no nest he just randomly blows bubbles here and there she lost all the eggs so they are out of commission.

Tom and SUE dropped over 300 eggs easy, and they all ended up each one in TOM's belly... (GRRR) He was so fat, it looked like he seriously was going to explode, i was sure he was just gonna leave a few for the nest but noooo, I sat and watched that bugger do the dirty deed, while Sue tried numerous times to rescue any eggs she could she even tried to hide them in the nest. BTW it was a super nest....

Tom turned around and ate them as fast as she put them in. I think if he hasn't found it yet there was all but One in the nest...

I conditioned them for 2 weeks... both pairs and this is the thanks I get (grr)

Should I stop breeding them both retire both my boys ? Or should I give them a bit more time, just in case its immaturity that caused them to act in this manner?

Any suggestions ?

When I bred bettas I had 6" of water in a ten gal tank, sponge filter set low enough just to break up the surface, styrofoam cup cut in half, and covered 3/4 of the tank with floating plants for hiding spot. Also used home made plexi-glass divider so they could see each other really good and had temp at a steady 82f. one 25 watt incandecsent light and a small night light across the room at lights out.

• 4 months later...
When I bred bettas I had 6" of water in a ten gal tank, sponge filter set low enough just to break up the surface, styrofoam cup cut in half, and covered 3/4 of the tank with floating plants for hiding spot. Also used home made plexi-glass divider so they could see each other really good and had temp at a steady 82f. one 25 watt incandecsent light and a small night light across the room at lights out.

um. newbie. just effin around with some pet store bettas, i think one male's too old. and after reading some of the stuff regarding the crappy pet store genes. i wanna hold out, get the tank into a magical paradise and then place some young wicked bettas in. so just a quick little tidbit for mamba. that one dude you got your bettas from overseas... on his website he mentioned something about feeing the crap outta the pair until a couple days er something before spawning... MIGHT be why the male's eating all the eggs. just a hunch. again, im new at this game. yeehaw

um. newbie. just effin around with some pet store bettas, i think one male's too old. and after reading some of the stuff regarding the crappy pet store genes. i wanna hold out, get the tank into a magical paradise and then place some young wicked bettas in. so just a quick little tidbit for blackmumba. that one dude you got your bettas from overseas... on his website he mentioned something about feeing the crap outta the pair until a couple days er something before spawning... MIGHT be why the male's eating all the eggs. just a hunch. again, im new at this game. yeehaw