How Do You Pack And Move A Large Tank Long Distance?

Caprichoso

Hi,

I have a 140g aquarium that I'm moving long distance in a couple of months.

I need some tips and also any comments are appreciated about the info I've learned so far.

I've read that it's recommended to wrap the corners with something soft to protect the edges and to then tape cardboard to the rest of the glass to prevent it from being bumped/scratched. I was thinking of filling it up with linens and blankets after that.

What else should I do? I'm really worried about moving it but I am not going to sell it.

Thanks guys:)

Just make sure the tank, and anything else around it won't shift a lot during transport. If you're packing into a moving van, I'd put a carpet under it, and maybe couch cushions over and around it, so that if something does fall during transport, the chance of damage is less.

If your handy with a hammer & nails you could build your own shipping crate out of 2" x 2" & some 1/8" plywood leave room on the bottom and corners for some Styrofoam & packing peanuts or bubble wrap around the sides.Could also double as a coffin for who ever manages to break it.

I moved my 180g a few months ago. Super simple and easy. I used tie-down straps to secure it in the back of my truck and towels for softeners where needed. Then I put all of the sand, rocks, plants, and fish inside in 5 gallon pails and put the pails inside the tank so they didn't shift around.

My friend built a cradle for my 90 when I bought it. It was made from 2x4s and provided full support to the bottom rim of the tank and best of all it had legs and handles so you aren't having to lift right from the floor.

Ok thank you:)

I think we will need to use the suction cups to move the tank because it weighs over 300lbs but I can definitely see the advantage of having something pre built in the moving truck for it to rest on. I'm not good at building things so I'll see if my husband wants to do that.