New To Planted Tank. Need Advice

Bee

Hello Everyone!!

I am new to the planted tank and I really need some advice. I did research but there is so much information and a lot of contradictions in it. I have 20H tank that I want to try growing plants in. I already have some equipment(s) like the light (finnex planted +) and about 2.5 inches of flourite sand substrate.

I was wondering what kind of plants I can grow with what I have so far and whether or not it is necessary to have a CO2 system? I also will be getting those seachem liquid products for ferts.

Also, does anyone know a good place to buy plants in the red deer area? I looked at the petshops their plants don't look too good. Maybe someone would like to donate plants to get me started? haha

Edited by Bee

Sounds like you have what you need to get started, definitely get the excel and possibly upgrade to an injection system later.Lots of info here on CO₂ and planted aquarium setup and maintenance. I am pretty new myself and think that a decent pressurised system is worth the investment. Keep reading and learning while trying new things that's the fun part of trial and error. As far as plants look for easy types to start with and try anything you can get for free. Some plants that did well for me were hygrophilla corymbosa, cryptocoryne lutea, lemna species lol, cabomba caroliana and anubias to name a few. When the plants start taking off and you get a hang of it propagate them to further your skills. Lately the plants in my tanks give me more enjoyment then the fish.

Is it normal to get some algae as a beginner? Thats the only thing I'm worried about.

Normal yes does it happen to beginners only nope. Its not something to worry about because it will happen from time to time it just tells you something is out of norm lights, ferts.or co2 etc.Fix the problem it goes away until the next time.