Substrates - Aquasoil

LeafLoose

While I've never used it myself, I've seen a few tanks where it is the ONLY substrate, and their keepers thought it was great. I always wondered about it being quite light, and how it would do with moving/trimming regularly. Like CKMullin says, it could be great as part of a mixture - I'd probably try it under a layer of sand.

I think leaf was referring to ADA aquasoil, never used it myself but I know Pisces in Calgary carries it. From the sounds of the product it seems as if it acts in the same fashion as soilless media such as potting mix but the ''soil'' is baked and compressed so that it does not get everywhere and require a cap as loose peat based products would.

I currently have a fluorite only tank and a tank with media capped with polished gravel. Both work well but I prefer the potting mix tank for planting in because it seems like the roots hold better and stems seem to melt less in media. I'm not done experimenting so the next time I set up or redo a tank I will switch out the polished gravel cap for a cap of eco complete over potting mix. Aquasoil is tempting but it can be expensive compared to other methods of setting up substrate. Fluorite made one heck of a cloudy mess but then again I had no idea what I was doing when setting up. After looking at eco complete it seemed to have an appealing colour, texture and smell which is why it's next on the things to try list. Then again I might just go buy a broken bag of zeolite at the local garden centre to try as a media cap and spend the savings on other equipment such as.light, COâ‚‚ or filtration.

Btw I still have no idea what I'm doing so,take the note as shared experience more than concrete advice.

If you mean ADA Aquasoil like Amazonia, I use it in my shrimp tanks. It will buffer pH down into the low 6 range if you have soft water and maybe down to 7 if you are running tap. I also got mine at Pisces in Calgary.

If you are planning on doing a carpet of any sort, you may want to add the powder type AS on top of the normal size AS so that it is easier to plant and get the little carpet plants to stay.

What are your tank plans?

I think leaf was referring to ADA aquasoil,

There are many products called Aquasoil.

If the poster wants the ADA stuff...I'll say this. While the product does work, i give a value of garbage to this product due to exorbitant cost, it's a waste of money.

If the poster wants what I'm referring to, give me a shout I'll tell you my experiences with the product.

Aquaticsoil-5216.jpg

If you mean ADA Aquasoil like Amazonia, I use it in my shrimp tanks. It will buffer pH down into the low 6 range if you have soft water and maybe down to 7 if you are running tap. I also got mine at Pisces in Calgary.

If you are planning on doing a carpet of any sort, you may want to add the powder type AS on top of the normal size AS so that it is easier to plant and get the little carpet plants to stay.

What are your tank plans?

Very right. I had a shrimp tank with Ada in it. It buffered my tap down to 5.5ph. I couldn't do a water change, not enough ph down to bring my tap down low enough to match it. Every time I tried, I ended up killing shrimp with ph shock. I'll never use it again.