New Tank Build

Frogfish

I'm planning on tearing down a 10 gallon fishtank and converting it to a 36 gallon bowfront tank. I'm not rushing the process and slowly investing in equipment. I'm looking for ideas on well... any input you might have

So far for equipment I have

Tank and stand

Rena filstar xp2, crowfoot petland has a few old gen renas in stock, the new API filstar is the same thing but comes with far less goodies such as flow control and a flow bar, mind you these are pretty simple diy projects

Fluval aquatic life and plant led

Aqueon led needs 1 more light strip add on

Hydor theo heater

5lb CO₂ tank and regulator

GLA atomic diffuser

Drop checker

Considering investing in a pH control module

Things yet to come

Background, im strongly considering painting it either by brush with tremclad rustoleum or dark brown spray paint with a metallic additive

Substrate, thinking of soilless media (aka dirt but not really dirt or soil, post to come on why miracle grow mix isn't soil)

Substrate cap with eco complete for planted aquariums, looks like good stuff to work with

Plants coming out of a dirted 20 gallon, well rooted swords, nymphaea and a few other species.

Fish, going to use the stock currently in the 10 gal

Tank cycle, the plan is to take the sponges from one of my other filstar filters currently operating

The 20 gallon that plants are coming from is dirted and stocked and will remain as so, whats the best method to pull the plants with fish in the tank yet avoid the inevitable mess of pulling rooted plants from a dirted tank. I was thinking of holding the substrate down with my palm and pulling the plants through the space between my fingers.

All comments and advice will be greatly appreciated, I may invest the time in making a journal but no promises.

• 2 weeks later...

2z6ghtc.jpg

Dirted tank uprooted, it was funny when pulling the swords and lotus the entire substrate layer was lifting because they were so rooted in. Lets just say I scrapped dirting the 36, went for a blend of 2-1 eco complete-fluorite black because I like having the option of moving things around without making my tank look like flood water.

2rnxz4i.jpg

plants taken from the dirted 20gal

2cxtjky.jpg

36 gallon bowfront freshly planted, I stocked right away and no deaths after 1 week due to filter seeding.

Bahaha I just read my post, 10 gal has not been torn down I'm going to give shrimp a go in it!

• 4 weeks later...

looks great!

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. Now there's a problem I need another tank because I cant stand tossing trimmings away haha the tank will be a heck of a mess if it doesn't get a weekly trim. If anyone wants plant cuttings please pm me there's always an abundance of ludwigia and stargrass.

Something that I have learned from this experience is that potting mix makes a huge mess when disturbed but is easier to plant in and plants seem to root in more readily then clay or other similar based substrate options. Replanting new trimmings every day or so until they root in is annoying but I like to work my landscape and move new plant species in and swap things around so I prefer not using the potting mix although it is still in the 20 gal that doesn't get played in as much and everything is doing well and the tank with potting mix requires less frequent fertilization.

Another thing learned is that shrimp are pretty cool, really glad that ten gallon wasn't forced into early retirement.

• 2 months later...