Cardinal Tetras

cidley69

Hi All,

Well, I am jsut over 2 weeks in with my first tank. I brought some water to Riverfront and had it tested. They told me i mm almost done the ammonia- nitrate-nitrite cycle.

So far in my 20 gal there are 2 Tiger Barbs, 2 Zebra Danios, and 2 Oto Cats. They all seem healthy and happy. The Barbs and Danios even seem to school with each other alot of the time! (aw, so cute!)

After seeing and reading about Cardinal Tetras I think they would be a great addition to my lilttle community tank. Some of those and a bottom feeder or two and that might be my community until I upscale to a bigger tank.

Does anyone know a good place to get some Cardinals in the Clagary area? Riverfront seems to be sold out of them at most times.

I have read on the net that it is best to get them from a store that actually keeps them in a tank for a while so they are more climatized to captivity by the time you get them. Does this seem pertinent?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

:ml:

Welcome to the most addicting thing since crack. :)

I would suggest Big Al's (Heritage and McLeod) and Pisces (4st and McKnight NE, one block north) as two places to also check out. They are both in the phone book and would be able to tell you right off if they are in stock. Normally Gold's is a suggested store, but I cannot comment on whether they would have these, as they tend to be more themed towards cichlids, from my limited experiences there.

In addition to your cardinals, I might suggest a couple pepper corys for the bottom of the tank. They are playful and active, generally speaking, and stay fairly small (about 2") much like the rest of your stock. Silver/gray with black dots and dashes in color, they are inexpensive to purchase (about $4 a fish). Ensure the tank has something on the bottom for them to hide in, they like having a small place to call their own (the two I have like a small place between the driftwood and sword plants) but will frequently swim the entire tank (even dashing to the surface once in a while).

There are other kinds of corys out there (Sterbai are neat, and similar in marking to the pepper, but far more expensive +$15 each) so do your research and see what interests you. For your tank I would suggest a pair and probably no more.

Welcome to the most addicting thing since crack. 

-roll-

sorry... i started laughing out loud (lol) as that is soooooo true!

How many do you plan on adding?

i do believe they should be kept in school's 6 or more...

my all time favorite tetra, has to be red eye tetra's, if you are looking for other options if you cannot find the cardinal's.

nev