Lily Pipes

Iceturf

I see some brands of Lily pipes advertising being made out of Borosilicate Glass, but I have a hard time thinking that anything but chemistry grade glass would be tough enough....? So wouldn't they all be made out of this?

If they make them out of really tough glass, that means you have less chance of breaking them. Which means you only buy one set... not so good for profit lol.

I haven't tried because I no longer require a lily pipe, but making them out of acrylic would be WAY cheaper and doesn't seem that hard.

Edited by creekbottom

I was thinking about buying a knockoff set on ebay for 20-30 dollars. There is a knockoff company that says theirs is made from that tough glass, costing roughly 25$ (shipping included). I'm questioning if there are any differences between different sources, considering most of them (AdA included) don't specify the material quality. Otherwise I would go with an Acrylic set.

I hadn't previously considered lily pipes, but I cant actually think of a better way of getting water exchange for my 3 gal rimless.

Short of that, I'm drilling my little tiny tank instead.

Edited by Iceturf

What.. how can a glass tube costing $400 bucks be over priced? or for that matter an ADA pair of scissors for $90. Sounds as reasonable as the prices for a sandwich at an airport terminal

BIG TIME!!! :P

Why I hate those Pisces 'plant seminars' ...more like a seminar to remove greenbacks from your wallet for ADA products.

To be on a more neutral stance, regular ebay lily pipes has worked fine for me over the past few years. $20 for both the inflow and outflow have lasted me 2+ years. I don't find the glass to be thin and find them quite sturdy. If money was not a problem, the branded ones would be what I would get....but money isn't popping off my tree yet...

I can vouch that normal ebay ones function the same as the branded ones. So go whichever way your wallet takes you. For the ebay ones, you don't get bragging rights nor do you get the fancy labels on them :cry:

But if you are just looking for lily pipes that provide the basic function of flowing water through them, ebay ones will be suffice.

Edited by meeiu

• 2 months later...

I ended up picking up a set of lily's, 10mm ID 13mm OD roughly for 23$, made of lab grade borosilicate (maybe that is what they are all made from, tried asking AquaMagic manufacturer, never heard back). Roughly 1.5mm thick glass for the stock. I was fairly impressed with the set overall, particularly the large number of inlet slots of a very narrow width. The fry in my Endler tank has tripled in survival rate since I've switched. The vinyl pipe for connection (1/2"?) ended up getting very dirty but the lily's themselves are still crystal clear.

I don't think I could ever justify paying more than what I paid, considering for anyone who has ever worked or taken University Chem Courses, you well know that lab glass is very durable and very shape-able - and considering how much Borosilicate test tubes are, 23$ is actually about right for a mass produced item.

I don't think personally the extra .5mm from aqua magic (?) brand or more prestigious brands is necessarily worth it. Typical pipettes in the lab employ much thinner glass thicknesses and don't have breakage problems. Handling my 1.5mm thick lily pipes, they feel a lot sturdier than I was expecting and the vinyl pipe seems a reasonable 'tightness'. So far so good, but if they break mysteriously I will mention it for reference to anyone who might consider purchasing in the future.

Edited by Iceturf