Stiphodon Percnopterygionus

Pteronarcys

I have the red (ornatus) and the blue (semoni) 2 of each in a 60G. They both like algae green and brown. They like a bit of current and love perching on driftwood precariously, a bit shy but very docile. I don't find them to be picky eaters and picked them up for around $8-10 each at aquarium central in Edmonton.

I read that this particular stiphodon is a great algae eater. Forums talk about them eating all kinds from clado to bba. They even talk about having to make sure there is enough algae and have your tank set up to promote algae growth. Being a river species they prefer a good current. They may breed but fry require marine conditions and are unlikely to survive in freshwater. I guess in nature these guys live in rivers close to oceans and fry wash down into the ocean and a month or so swim back up to live the rest of their lives in the river.

Lots of pictures show very pretty male colours. Apparently, the males can change their colours and display a wide variety of colouration on any given hour. They sound like pretty neat fish. Most say they are shrimp safe too since they only eat algae.

If all the info I read is correct, these guys sound like a great addition to the tank.