starting a fluval?, mabe should setup harware sect

vantgE

i got a used 403 with my tank it's didn't have a manual but i found it on the internet however it is useless, not alot of people seem to have these, so i'm haveing trouble getting help

need to know how to start it I turn it on and it makes sucking noises and clicks a little, with no water seeming to come through the hoses

thanks

I am not too good at explaining things but I hope this helps. It has been a while since I had to do this so I cant remember exactly what I did...but here goes. When I first started it up, I took a black bulb thingy that is used to prime the output spraybar. You put the end into the spraybar and squeeze the bulb a few times to get suction going and the canister fills up. Then you plug it in and it starts working. After this initial priming, you don't have to do it again. When doing water changes you just hook the hoses back up and listen til the canister has finished and then plug it in.

where do i get a bulb was it suposed to come with it got mine used

You can buy them at Pisces in Calgary. But most likely any other fish store with a good part selection. If all else fails visit the hagen website and you can probably get it for free. They are very accomodating.

I however suck on mine to start priming, but I am no stranger to fish water.

The eaziest way to start a empty canister, is to put the suction tube in the water and then suck on the outlet pipe below the water line in the tank. Creating a siphon. The cannister will fill completly, then plug it in and gently tip the canister back and forth to get any trapped air out of it.

I know that you figured it out and have the filter running ;)

But when it comes time to do the regular maintenance theres one thing that you can do that will make things easier to restart the filter again ...

Right beside the lock lever that locks the intake and out take hoses to the canister is the flow control valve before you unplug the filter shutt this valve off so that the water wont escape the hoses then unplug the power ...After you have cleaned the canister and your ready to restart things make sure that the canister is completely full of water , move the canister around from side to side making sure that all the trapped air escapes then top off with water ...Reconnect hoses to the canister then make sure to start the power first before turning the flow control switch on that way the pump has a head start with the pumping action then open the flow control ....Hopefully if you have done these things right your pump should be running fine now ..If for some reason that the hoses drain make sure that they are full before starting the pump again , you need this so that the pump has a head start and isnt working extra hard to get things running again ....I know this from first hand experience as i have the older version Fluvals and also the new version Fluval canisters ...Hopefully this will help

• 3 weeks later...

The great problem with canister filters ... air lock!!!

The "bulb" method works well and they are inexpensive.

What I do - [even when I have shut off the valves - air still seems to collect in the impeller -] I just hook up a powerhead to the output side of the canister and "blow"/flush all the air out .

or - when I refill the tank [ w/c], and have cleaned the media in the canister; I pump the fresh water back through the output line. This way I do not have to fill the canister before reassembling.

hth.

Smokey