controling aiptasia

Does anybody have any suggestions for getting an aiptasia problem under control? So far I've come up with a syringe and lemon juice, or a copperband butterfly fish. I know that you can't remove them by hand because they just seed worse from handling them. The are starting to get out of hand , just looking for some ideas...........

Peppermint shrimp - But they are generally not reef safe (love apistasia - but in its absence any invert will do).

A friend and I had speculated once about taking a UV lamp assembly, modifying it - (surounding it in something to prevent damage to surrounding life) then using it as a ray gun to kill apistasia - never tried it though, easier to just get / borrow a peppermint shrimp.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Boiling water. Inject it into the the aiptasia with a syringe. Quite often after you push the water out of the syringe and suck tank water back in remains of the aiptasia will enter the syringe as well. Make sure these bits and pieces don't go floating around the tank as it will cause the aiptasia to spread. It may take quite a while to hunt down all the little pests but this method will work.

Boiling water. Inject it into the the aiptasia with a syringe. Quite often after you push the water out of the syringe and suck tank water back in remains of the aiptasia will enter the syringe as well. Make sure these bits and pieces don't go floating around the tank as it will cause the aiptasia to spread. It may take quite a while to hunt down all the little pests but this method will work.

COnsider this method a good means to kill just about ANYTHING you need to have killed. Last I heard, boiling water makes small animals die . :guns:

• 5 weeks later...

Aiptasia is a PITA. Hot water will work provided that the water that gets into them is at least 70*C. IMHO, it's not going to work unless the needle is at least 18 guage and you are pushing hard and fast on the plunger.

Heat will denature enzymes and mess it up. But it has to be exposed to higher temps to do any seroius damage to the aiptasia.

What I do is get a syringe with an 18g needle, mix a teaspoon of Kalk powder in a shot glass of water, suck up the powdery solution, turn off filter/powerhead, inject aiptasia. When the aiptasia retreats into it's crevace, cover the crevace with kalk powder. You may have to do this a few times for big ones.

HTH