Strong Algae Magnets

Psylant

Does anyone here have thick glass, or acrylic tanks (say 1/2" and up) and recommend a particular algae magnet? I'm getting really tired of scrubbing with sponges and brushes.

How thick is your glass? I have a Mag-Float 500 sitting in my closet, it says it's good for 3/4" to 1 1/4" glass.

3/4" glass on my tank. Thanks for your offer but the Mag-Floats are junk, in my opinion. I have the next size down (rated p to 5/8" i think) and it came detached all the time on 1/2" glass. I was hoping someone had experience with one of the other brands out there, like Magnavore, or Algaefree. Those two seem to get mentioned the most. I'm leaning towards a Magnavore 6ER but they're quite pricey.

(I'm also finally making progress treating those Rainbowfish, Ron. Yay!)

3/4" glass on my tank. Thanks for your offer but the Mag-Floats are junk, in my opinion. I have the next size down (rated p to 5/8" i think) and it came detached all the time on 1/2" glass. I was hoping someone had experience with one of the other brands out there, like Magnavore, or Algaefree. Those two seem to get mentioned the most. I'm leaning towards a Magnavore 6ER but they're quite pricey.

I also have an Algae Free Great White. Yes, they are pricey.

I also have an Algae Free Great White. Yes, they are pricey.

Do you find that there's a considerable difference between the MagFloat and the Great White? I would assume so since you're selling the MagFloat? haha

I prefer using the razor scraper wand for the odd time that glass needs cleaning, my mag floats are being used as cabinet door handles and one is sitting on my dresser as a dust collector. The water movement caused by the magnets was uprooting plants and to effectively clean, the magnets require multiple passes in the same area at different angles.

If you'd like to come play with my hammerhead magnet and compare it to a magfloat you are more than welcome to swing by! I have a 7ft tank and half inch glass. This thing was worth every cent.

Edited by Aysha

Do you find that there's a considerable difference between the MagFloat and the Great White? I would assume so since you're selling the MagFloat? haha

Both are BNIB, haven't really compared strength. Maybe I'll test them through a chunk of wood and let you know.

I prefer using the razor scraper wand for the odd time that glass needs cleaning, my mag floats are being used as cabinet door handles and one is sitting on my dresser as a dust collector. The water movement caused by the magnets was uprooting plants and to effectively clean, the magnets require multiple passes in the same area at different angles.

My 450g is not planted. I'm considering trying some Crinum Natans though once I sell my last cichlid. The other fish would uproot/shred anything they wanted to anyways so it won't really matter.

If you'd like to come play with my hammerhead magnet and compare it to a magfloat you are more than welcome to swing by! I have a 7ft tank and half inch glass. This thing was worth every cent.

Thanks for your input. It seems the good magnet only require one pass over the algae to remove it. That's a generous offer but I'm south of Calgary and you're in the Edmonton-ish area. I literally never go up there :) haha

Both are BNIB, haven't really compared strength. Maybe I'll test them through a chunk of wood and let you know.

No worries if you weren't planning to use them right away. I might place an order tomorrow for something. I'm really tired of using those scrubbers with 2 foot long arms and tend to have my tank look like crap because I dread cleaning the glass. It's almost opaque right now in a lot of places haha.